Acting Industry Programs Director - Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival
The Acting Industry Programs Director is a temporary parental cover position. The role provides senior leadership and facilitation of management plans for all Hot Docs’ industry programs and activities. The position is directly responsible for overseeing core program delivery and various additional projects, as defined by the instruction of the Industry Programs Director in alignment with advancing Hot Docs’ mandate including supporting the industry in financing and distribution opportunities, as well as supporting filmmakers with professional development and training opportunities.
OPPORTUNITY TYPE: Temporary/fixed term (parental leave coverage for 8 months)
START DATE: October 2020
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 21, 2020
- Deliver on strategic cover plans for the industry programs as defined by the Industry Programs Director and Executive Director
- Be accountable to the Executive Director and the board for the delivery of all industry programming, scheduling, logistical, and administrative details;
Planning and Project Management
- Along with Associate Director of Funds, oversee the portfolio of Hot Docs film funds and accompanying HD Alumni services, including talent labs, mentorship programs,
- Production delivery and execution of multiple commission projects with key partners, overseeing producers and filmmakers project objectives, film delivery and dissemination strategy,
- o Oversee execution the Canadian Storytellers Project programs; Doc Ignite, Doc Accelerator and CrossCurrents Canada Doc Fund
- Along with program producers, oversee flagship events Forum and Deal Maker project submission and selection committee process
- Direct team efforts in producing all Hot Docs Festival industry and market related events, including conference programing and workshop curriculums
- Recruitment of industry attendees, experts, speakers, and special guests
- Support staff efforts in management of the Doc Shop, market activation and activities; and Hot Docs Collection initiative, partnerships, and deliverables;
- Collaborate with other Hot Docs departments, as required;
- Manage a team of four year-round staff and numerous festival and industry programs contract staff
- Ensure clear objectives, responsibilities and all accountabilities as defined for these roles, and that they are reviewed as scheduled.
- Maintain key documentary industry, screening partner and festival relationships
- Represent Hot Docs at key domestic and international festivals and markets; speak on behalf of the organization globally
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts, Film, Communications, Media, Business Administration, or another related field is an asset
- Minimum seven years of experience in the documentary industry with a focus on the documentary filmmakers, their projects and the funding and distribution market as well as the major buyers, including broadcasters, funds, distributors, sales agents, platforms, etc.
- Documentary film project evaluation and curation; film project funding and hybrid release strategies across multiple markets.
- Language: English (speaking and written); French is a benefit.
Have experience of, and be able to demonstrate specific achievements in:
- Executive Producing or Production experience of documentary films
- Marketing, branding, and positioning of documentary films in the marketplace
- Demonstrated experience with equity, diversity and inclusion best practices
- Impact, Audience engagement and film campaign awareness strategies
- Managing staff and freelancers and large-scale events
- Ability to prioritize and work under pressure with good time management and organizational skills
- Exceptional communication skills with an understanding of how to liaise and build relationships with industry stakeholders in different spectrums
- Excellent leadership and people-management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Passionate about documentaries and the organization
- Display creativity and innovation
Please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 21, 2020.
Attn: Elena Romanova, Human Resources
Re: Acting Industry Programs Director
720 Spadina Avenue, Suite 402
No phone calls please.
Hot Docs is a forum to share stories and perspectives on the people, issues and events that shape our world, and we encourage respectful discussion and debate to foster greater understanding and empathy.
An integral component of this is Hot Docs’ commitment to fostering an organizational culture that brings together people with different races, identities, abilities, experiences and skills. Hot Docs is committed to reflecting the diverse communities we serve in the stories we present and also in our workforce. We encourage applications from diverse communities and welcome applicants who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion.
Hot Docs encourages applications from qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the hiring contact to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to the accommodation will be addressed confidentially.