Accounting Associate - LAMP
Accounting Associate, Finance
Permanent Full Time Position: 35 hours per week
Position Expected Start Date: October 2021
Salary Range: $38,364.00 per year to $51,959.00 per year
LAMP Community Health Centre is a multi-service, community based charitable organization that provides a wide range of programs and services to improve a person's health. LAMP uses a co-ordinated approach to connect people to medical services and other programs that build personal resources. By providing services that improve physical, emotional, social and economic well-being, people can better control their health and environment.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Finance, the Accounting Associate provides all assigned assistance to the Finance Manager and is responsible for the organization’s day-to-day accounting functions in addition to providing general accounting support to program Managers/Supervisors.
The Accounting Associate is also responsible for assisting with and completing assigned payroll duties and tasks under the general guidance of appropriate Human Resources personnel.
- Reviewing and matching invoices with requisition forms to ensure the necessary approvals have been obtained.
- Coding invoices and preparing required allocations to programs as instructed by the supervisor/Manager/Director.
- Processing weekly cheque runs and obtains required signatures; distributing cheques and filing all documents.
- Process EFT and other payments online.
- Updating and maintaining monthly A/P aged list, establishing and maintaining up-to-date Accounts payable records.
- Investigate and resolve any questionable accounts payable invoices.
- Managing, collaborating and reconciling with other employees on using LAMP credit cards.
Note: During the first three (3) to six (6) months, the role will focus on the Accounts Payable function with planned transition and knowledge transfer to the remaining functions below.
Accounts Receivable and Other Finance Functions:
- Prepare bank deposits, ensuring security of funds and accurate account coding, and investigating all deposits questions from staff.
- Preparing accurate donation receipts to donators.
- Investigate and resolve any questionable accounts receivable issues.
- Reconcile bank statements on a weekly basis.
- Prepare and submit monthly WSIB report.
- Establishing and maintaining up-to-date financial records.
- Responding to client and staff inquires and providing general financial information.
- Examining accounting records and assisting program supervisors to prepare accurate and timely program reports.
- Back up for Finance Manager on relevant and assigned duties and back up for other Accounting staff during vacation and other absences.
- Processing bi-weekly payroll accurately and in timely manner.
- Reviewing, reconciling and ensuring pay has been properly approved prior to transmission.
- Post bi-weekly payroll journal entries by the right G/L accounts.
- Performing other related duties as required and assigned.
- College diploma education in Accounting, Commerce or business Management/Administration.
- Equivalent experience and working knowledge of GAAP.
- Minimum three years’ experience in bookkeeping/accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and computer spreadsheets.
- CPA Payroll training; ideally with one (1) to two (2) years of hands on payroll functioning or recognized equivalent experience.
- Past experience with third-party outsourced payroll provider is strong asset.
- Willing to upgrade with appropriate accounting courses, if necessary.
- Excellent interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively across all levels of the organization’s diverse workforce.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to clearly convey information and ideas.
- Detail oriented with superior analytical, project planning and organization skills.
- Strong priority and time management skills.
- Demonstrated flexibility to work well under pressure and meet challenging deadlines.
- Positive attitude and dependable with strong initiative and the ability to work both independently and in a team- oriented atmosphere.
- Experience in a non-profit setting is an asset.
- Open minded, eager and willing to constantly learn and improve oneself.
Proficiency in the Following Computer Skills
- Solid working knowledge and ability to navigate a PC windows environment, including shared drives.
- Superior skills and experience using Microsoft applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Knowledge of Microsoft Dynamics GP and FRX Report Designer.
- Strong skills and ability to easily navigate the internet/intranet environment.
- Ability to learn new software quickly and willingness to continuously develop technology skills.
- The position will require some overtime.
- Ability to effectively understand the appreciation of guiding fundamentals at LAMP, i.e. Health Promotion, Anti-Oppression; Harm Reduction and the principles of community-based practice. “Walk the talk.”
- There is an expectation for all employees to participate in two events per year for the agency; these events may be during the evening or on a weekend.
- Frequent data entry, with extended periods of time sitting stationary in front of a monitor while keyboarding.
- Ability to balance all job requirements in a busy atmosphere, including responding promptly to all communication.
- Occasional standing for extended periods of time and some occasional lifting may be required.
- Demonstrates good and safe work habits, and maintains a clean working environment.
- Ensures full compliance with LAMP’s Health & Safety regulations and LAMP’s policies and procedures.
As part of our mandate for inclusivity, reasonable accommodations can be made for all incumbents to perform the described physical functions of the aforementioned job.
LAMP Community Health Centre is dedicated to achieving a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community it serves and encourages applications from equity seeking groups.
Please send your resume with a cover letter to Human Resources:
Email Address: email@example.com
Subject: Job Opening for Accounting Associate, Finance
External Deadline: 5:00 pm on Tuesday October 5, 2021
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
No phone calls please.