Accountant - PALS Autism Society - Adult Program
Reporting to: Head of Adult Programs
Date: July 2020
Hours: Part-time (24 hours per week) with flexibility on days (Monday - Friday)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
Budgeting, Financial Planning and Reporting
- In coordination with the Head of Adult program, prepares the annual operating budget for approval to the Board of Directors.
- Produces monthly financial statements of actuals and projections.
- Completes monthly and year-end reconciliations. Reviews and advises the Head of the Adult program causes of large variances between budget and actual expenditures.
- Prepares financial reconciliation reports as requested by Head of Adult Program and Foundations, completion of annual CLBC Compensation Survey, filing CLBC Wage Assertion Reports (when applicable), completion of any CLBC funding templates.
- Develops recommendations for the overall strategic budgeting and financial planning to support financial decision-making and analysis including hiring, new program development, foundation grant applications and strategic initiatives.
- Manages the integrity of the financial data, identifying shortfalls and making recommendations to resolve deficits.
- Provides input into the Society’s annual report.
- Processes receipts and receivables, ensures deposits are made promptly to the bank, collections are up-to-date and any overdue/uncollectible amounts are followed up. Creates invoices of program fees to obtain funding.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation to ensure cheques processed in the account are valid and to identify any NSF cheques as soon as possible for collection.
- Processes payments for authorized purchases after obtaining authorization to pay.
- Manages the bi weekly payroll to the payroll provider before the deadlines in regards to changes in staffing, salaries, benefits and payments to Federal, Provincial and benefit provider. Ensures accurate preparation of ROE and T4’s.
- Ensures the Administrative Assistant issues tax receipts for all donations.
- Reconciles donations to General ledger for accuracy of tax receipting.
Policy, Compliance and Control
- Monitors compliance with GAAP, PASS policies and tax regulations; monitors and evaluates internal controls for weaknesses and improvements; evaluates and makes recommendations on improving accounting and reporting systems and develops accounting processes and systems.
- Completes regular updating of the software applications and regular backup of data for on- and off-site storage.
- Ensures accounting files are kept up to date with documentation for completeness and accuracy for audit purposes. Responsible for highly sensitive and confidential transactions and for dispute resolution for financial issues between PASS and third parties.
- Creates and implements new policies, financial procedures, and training material relating to financial policies, internal controls and expenditure reimbursements.
- Works with the external Auditors for financial audit reviews.
- Ensures PASS is compliant with BC Employment Standards and WorkSafe BC.
Business Process Improvement
- Engages with management team and administrative and IT staff and other stakeholders to determine business needs, cost reductions, reforms and improvement opportunities particularly in the areas of data management, budget preparation and reporting.
- Creates, leads and participates in training programs with a focus on finance, budget and procurement practices within PASS. Maintains a full understanding and expertise of all financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance by all staff.
EDUCATION, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- University or college degree in Accounting, Finance or Business
- CPA with minimum of 2-3 years experience in accounting/finance in non-profit organizations
- Experience with financial reporting requirements
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated analytical, problem solving and decision-making abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to work independently and as part of a team
- Deadline-oriented with exceptional attention to detail