Accountant, Market Rental Housing - MPA Society
POSTING NUMBER: 2019-81
POSITION: Accountant, Market Rental Housing, Regular Full Time
UNION: HEU – Community Subsector Association
PROGRAM: Finance Department, Administration Office, Vancouver
SALARY RANGE: $27.29 - $29.27
HOURS OF PAY: 37.5 hours per week
SCHEDULE: Monday to Friday: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm
START DATE: ASAP
All candidates subject to a criminal records search.
Qualifications and job description attached.
Please indicate posting number 2019-81 when sending applications and resumes to
Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
At MPA Society, the unique capabilities and talents of our employees are our greatest asset. We believe that a diverse workforce and inclusive workplace culture enhance our ability to work in partnership with the diverse communities and people we serve. MPA Society hires on the basis of merit, and we encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Job Description – Accountant, Market Rental Housing
Classification Benchmark: Accounting Administrator 1
Grid Level: Grid 39
Collective Agreement: Community Subsector Association
Reports To: Manager, Accounting
MPA manages a portfolio of market rental housing units that provide people who are homeless and/or living with serious mental illness an opportunity for improved health and well-being through quality stabilized housing and access to services and supports.
This position is responsible for the accounting and data management of the portfolio, including the maintenance of all accounting and rental database records and transactions. The position provides the market rental housing programs with the information its needs to manage rental subsidies and to prepare market rental and utilization reports. It also provides the Accounting Manager with the necessary information to prepare financial statements.
Functions & Responsibilities
1. For its market rental housing units, maintains client, rent and landlord information in accounting and rental database systems.
2. Prepares reports for managers, PDOs, support teams and external funding agencies
3. Calculates average rent subsidies and monitors for compliance with funding contracts
4. Ensures procured housing units are matched to appropriate housing portfolios on the basis of geography, support team, funder and rent limits
5. Updates accounting system for changes in expected client rent contribution and monthly landlord payments.
6. Processes client receipts by entering and updating records in computerized accounting system.
7. Reconciles rent rolls and follows up on overdue accounts.
8. Processes landlord payments and responds to landlord queries
9. Processes accounts payable by entering and updating records in a computerized system, and prepares payment of invoices.
10. Performs cash management duties such as receiving payments, and preparing bank deposits and cash summaries.
11. Maintains and balances petty cash accounts.
12. Reconciles related general ledger accounts
13. Orders and maintains inventory of furniture and equipment packages for tenants
14. Answers queries from internal and external stakeholders, identifies and resolves issues; refers complex problems to manager.
15. Maintains up to date, complete and systematic filing systems to support departmental records.
16. Collects and provides information required for budgets and audits. Assists with analyses of information collected.
17. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education, Training & Experience
1. Post secondary diploma in accounting and three years’ accounting experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
2. Good working knowledge of Sage 300 ERP, GL, A/P, and A/R.
3. Computer literacy with Microsoft Office Outlook Word, Excel and Access
Skills & Abilities
1. Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and practices related to financial and budget management
2. Able to work independently with minimal supervision, exercise initiative and good judgment.
3. Effective communication and problem solving skills
4. Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of stakeholders
5. Accuracy and attention to detail, with the ability to organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines
6. Ability to develop and monitor accounting and administrative processes