Accountant (Full-Time/Currently work-from-home) - Toronto Foundation
Are you an experienced accounting administrator with a passion for the charitable sector? Are you a wiz with Excel and other accounting software? Can you gracefully juggle multiple tasks against tight deadlines? Do you enjoy working with a small team of committed professionals? If so…this could be the role for you!
About Toronto Foundation
Established in 1981, Toronto Foundation (TF) is a registered Canadian charity and one of 191 Community Foundations in Canada.
We pool philanthropic dollars and facilitate charitable donations for maximum community impact in Toronto and across Canada. Our individual, family and organizational funds number more than 800 and we administer $700 million in assets. Through strategic granting, thought leadership and convening, we engage in city building to strengthen the quality of life in Toronto.
TF is committed to the fundamental principles of equal employment opportunity. We are committed to treating people fairly, with respect and dignity, and to offering equal employment opportunities based upon an individual's qualifications and performance — free from discrimination or harassment because of race, ancestry, place of origin, ethnic origin, colour, citizenship, creed (including religion), sex (including pregnancy and breastfeeding), sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, age, marital or same-sex partnership status (including single status), family status, disability, and record of offences, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Toronto Foundation is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities. If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact Elizabeth Aqui-Seto at email@example.com.
Note: the position will be temporarily working-from-home during the pandemic.
The Role - Accountant
We are seeking an experienced, detailed-oriented, self-starter who excels at providing accounting and administrative services.
Reporting to TF’s Manager, Finance, the Accountant processes grants, gifts, accounts payable and receivables as well as produces reports, reconciliations and supports audit and project work.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Accountant reports to the Manager, Finance. This position is responsible for providing accounting and administrative services with a primary focus on: processing grants, gifts, accounts payable and receivables as well as providing reporting, reconciliations and audit and project support.
Responsibilities include the following:
Grant processing including generation of grant payments
- Post grants into accounts payable module and prepare grant payments.
- Validate data and process grants via Canada Helps.
- Obtain required signatures/approvals and submit documentation to assigned staff for processing grant letters.
- Handle mailing related to grant recipients and donors.
Gift and other cash receipt processing
- Process all gifts and other cash receipts (“non-gifts “) received from all sources (cheques, securities, on-line, Canada Helps, credit card, or cash).
- Prepare tax receipts, in compliance with CRA tax receipting guidelines.
- Prepare daily electronic bank deposit.
- Provide donation cheques to designated person for e-deposit, and act as a backup for this function.
- Prepare monthly gift reports and circulate to senior management team.
- Reconcile tax receipts issued to general ledger monthly.
Accounts payable processing
- Verify approval and coding of expenditures with the appropriate department.
- Enter invoices into accounts payable system (FIMS).
- Prepare electronic fund transfer (EFT) batches for approval.
- When required, prepare cheques, obtain required signatures and prepare documents for mailing.
- Communicate with vendors regarding outstanding payments, invoice discrepancies, payments remitted, EFT new vendor forms etc.
- Reconcile vendor statement of accounts with balance outstanding.
- Ensure all invoices are recorded (or accrued) on a timely basis.
- Setup and maintain vendor files.
- Reconcile corporate credit card statements, distribute expenses, and ensure all credit cards are paid on time.
Corporate financial and accounting services
- Reconcile bank accounts.
- Prepare and maintain expenses analysis reports for each department, investigate budget to actual variances for any miscoding.
- Generate invoices for special projects.
- Validate and allocate fees on online gifts.
- Prepare and analyze monthly balance sheet schedules.
- Prepare summary of bi-weekly employee expense reports, and submit for payment bi-weekly.
- Prepare annual life insurance confirmation letters for the purpose of receipting and recording cash surrender value.
- Prepare letters for professional investment advisors for funds withdrawal.
- Set up new funds in FIMS.
- Complete semi-annual GST rebate returns.
- Generate year-end audit reports for gifts.
- Assemble supporting documentation required by external auditors in the review of gifts and operating expense payments.
Other duties and responsibilities
- Perform other accounting and related duties assigned.
- Maintain working knowledge and proficiency in processing accounts payable and gifts.
- Attend relevant workshops and training sessions in matters pertaining to Canada Revenue Agency requirements for tax receipting.
- Develop and maintains very high proficiency in FIMS in the Profiles, Donation and Gift Management and Accounts Payable modules of FIMS.
SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Relevant post-secondary education or equivalent experience.
- Enrolment in courses leading to a professional accounting designation or a minimum of 5 years of related accounting experience.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent computer skills in Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and other technology as appropriate.
- Positive team player.
- Flexible and self-motivated.
- Experience in the non-profit sector an asset.
Please submit your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include the position title and your name in the subject line of the email (e.g. ACCOUNTANT, First Name Last Name).
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and the posting will close by March 5, 2021 at 5pm.
Due to an expected high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your time and consideration of Toronto Foundation.
The salary range for this full-time role is $52,000 - $57,000.