3POINT HOUSING SOCIETY BOARD OF DIRECTORS - Pacific Mountain Region of The United Church of Canada
2020 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS TO THE
3POINT HOUSING SOCIETY BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The 3 Point Housing Society is an Incorporated Society (BC) and non-profit organization whose purpose is to acquire, develop and operate non-profit residential accommodations, providing affordable housing for low- and moderate-income households.
The 3 Point Housing Society (3PHS) is a newly incorporated society designed specifically to take over the legal responsibilities and work associated with the 3-Point Redevelopment Portfolio, which was created by the Pacific Mountain Region of The United Church of Canada. The 3-Point Redevelopment Portfolio refers to a growing number of United Church properties in BC that are being redeveloped in partnership with BC Housing. There are currently 5 projects underway, three in the Lower Mainland and two on Vancouver Island. Each of these mixed-use redevelopments will result in custom-built, multi-purpose church space and purpose-built rental housing.
1.Brechin United Nanaimo, BC 7,500SF 74 Construction to Complete Summer 2020
2. Como Lake United Coquitlam, BC 7,000SF 75 Construction to Complete Summer 2020
3. Lakeview United Vancouver, BC 7,000SF 90-100 Civic Approvals underway RZ Application submitted August 2019
4. Brighouse United Richmond, BC 10,000SF 130 -140 Civic Approvals Underway Revised Application submitted May 2019
5. First Metropolitan United Victoria, BC Renovate approx. 29,000SF 90 - 100 Pre-Development Design and Due Diligence Underway
The 3PHS is governed by volunteer Board of Directors who are committed to the purposes and mission of the 3PHS and how housing affordability helps to shape the quality of life for residents in British Columbia. Other than a single Board member who is appointed by the British Columbia Community Renewal Society of The United Church of Canada (CRS), the majority of Board members will not represent a particular community, constituency, or organization while in Board service.
In recruiting candidates for nomination to the Board, we will apply the following considerations:
- People from a variety of professional or sectoral perspectives, such as labour, academia, public service, business, law, faith communities, real estate, social justice movements, etc.
- People who understand from their personal experience, work, and/or volunteer activity, how housing affordability impacts the wellbeing of individuals and community.
- People who are interested in supporting the establishment of a new mission-driven organization (i.e., a social enterprise) and focusing their efforts on capacity building, research, policy and partnership development.
- People who through training and/or experience can provide visionary leadership, effective oversight and prudent due diligence to a major, multi million-dollar institutional venture.
- People who have familiarity with Policy Governance.
- People who reflect the diverse communities and identities of British Columbia.
Volunteer Board members, of course, bring many skills and talents to their Board responsibilities. Organizational strengths in areas such as finance, governance, communications, community development, human resources, social purpose real estate, housing operations, access and equity, and strategic planning are welcome. Given the “start up” nature of the 3PHS, the Nominations Committee is particularly interested in candidates with a demonstrated understanding of the importance of social purpose real estate and an entrepreneurial background.
The 3PHS is seeking to fill a minimum of 2 vacancies on the Board of Directors to complete a term which ends in November, 2020 and then renewable (annually) as of the AGM to be held in Burnaby, BC in fall 2020)
Individuals who are nominated and agree to stand for membership election to the 3PHS Board will be making the following commitments:
- Participate in an orientation session in fall 2020 (date TBC)
- Attend monthly Board meetings (in person or by teleconference)
- Be willing to contribute an additional 2-3 hours per month to a 3PHS committee or another Board-related volunteer work.
- Remain a member in good standing throughout term of office.
Interested individuals may submit their candidacy (or nominate others) to the 3 Point Housing Society by submitting your resume along with a narrative (up to 200 words) on why they would make a good member of the 3PHS Board of Directors. Include personal, professional, and volunteer experience and any specific skills or expertise that would contribute to the governance function of the 3PHS Board of Directors. All nominees will receive an acknowledgement.
Please submit your application to Graham Brownmiller email@example.com
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS, July 31, 2020
See the 3PHS’s Constitution, attached. Further information, including a copy of the 3PHS Bylaws, available by request
Information about the Provincial Societies Act: