Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor - LESA
LESA Program - Lifestyle Enrichment for Senior Adults - 4 days/week (0.8FTE)
Fixed term part-time contract of 12 months (4 days/week (0.8FTE) - with a possibility of extension
The Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor is responsible for the provision of counselling services to older adults (55 and older) seeking addictions treatment. The Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor is part of Centretown Community Health Centre’s Mental Health and Addictions team; specifically the Lifestyle Enrichment for Senior Adults program (LESA).
The LESA program is a citywide community based addictions treatment program for older adults. Service delivery includes one to one counselling, group work and opportunities to link clients to meaningful recreational activities as part of their treatment plan. When needed (ie due to mobility issues) counselling is provided in a person’s home.
The Mental Health and Addictions Counsellor is also responsible for developing key partnerships and contacts within the community to increase accessibility of service to marginalized and vulnerable older adults struggling with the impact of addictions and mental health issues on their quality of life and overall health.
This position may be required to represent the LESA program at community forums, workshops and events. Good public speaking and presentation skills in conjunction with excellent group facilitation skills within a therapeutic setting are required for this position.
- Masters level degree in Counselling
- Registration with the College of Psychotherapy
- Three to five years addictions and mental health counselling experience
- Experience and competency in working with diverse and marginalized populations
- Knowledge of the Harm Reduction Model of treatment
- Group facilitation experience
- Community outreach and partnership building experience
- Proven ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Valid driver’s license and access to a car
- Proficient with Windows based computer systems, MS Word, e-mail and databases
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in both French and English
- Experience working with older adults (55+) and or with individuals living with concurrent disorders
- Experience in providing home-based counselling services
- Experience with the provision of counselling to diverse cultural groups
- Knowledge of problem gambling
English, written and spoken
Ability to communicate in French is an asset
Fixed Term: December 2018 to November 2019 (0.8FTE/4 days per week) / (term of 12 months with possibility of extension)
Hourly Rate: $33.446 - $40.296 per hour
Pension: Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
How to “express an interest” for this opportunity:
Submit your letter of interest along with your résumé on or before November 22, 2018 by 11:59pm to email@example.com.
Please note the following:
- The subject line of your email should read “LESA Counsellor (MH&A) – Term Part-time”
- The file name for your resume should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Resume”
- The file name for your cover letter should read: “(last name)_(first name)_ Cover Letter”
We thank all applicants but regret that we can only contact those who will be moving to the next step of the selection process.
Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the assessment process should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so arrangements can be made. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce and as such all applicants are welcome.