Community Health Worker
The Community Health Worker (CHW) assists in planning and implementing community health programs both on-site and in the community to priority populations within the Centretown Community Health Centre (CCHC) catchment area, with particular attention to those who have complex health and social needs. The CHW engages with priority populations that are at risk of or currently living in social isolation, experience poverty or housing challenges, to participate in planning, development and implementation of community health programs and/or activities. The CHW will work closely with the Community Developers and other members of the interdisciplinary Community Health Promotion and Early Years team to build target population capacity and community leadership and participate in advocacy activities, research and evaluation.
- Bachelor’s degree in health or social sciences discipline or a combination of some post-secondary education and significant experience in community development and /or health promotion or equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience in a community-based human service setting.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience working with a community development framework and marginalized populations.
- Knowledge of and experience with community groups made up of older adults and newcomer populations and the organizations that serve them.
- Knowledge and experience working in community settings and with volunteers.
- Basic understanding of the social determinants of health.
- Ability to work well with marginalized groups.
- Familiar with data collection methods.
- Ability to work well independently and as part of multidisciplinary team.
- Skills in volunteer management, partnering, outreach, networking, workshop planning and facilitation.
- Demonstrated experience in community engagement.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
- Organizational skills including time management.
- Sound judgement and strong problem solving skills.
- The ability to communicate in a third language is a definite asset (e.g., Arabic, Chinese, Somali
English, written and spoken essential
French, written and spoken essential
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary range: $48,026 – $57,863/year
Pension and Benefits: Excellent benefits package including Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
How to “express an interest” for this opportunity:
Submit your letter of interest along with your résumé on or before Feb 24, 2019 by 11:59pm to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note the following:
- The subject line of your email should read “Bilingual Community Health Worker”
- The file name for your resume should read:“ (last name)_(first name)_ Resume
- The file name for your cover letter should read: “ (last name)_(first name)_ Cover Letter
We thank all applicants but regret that we can only contact those to be invited to an interview.
Candidates with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should contact us at email@example.com so arrangements can be made. CCHC is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in its workforce and as such all applicants are welcome.