Underwriter, Commercial Lines
Please submit resume and cover letter.
At CNA, every person plays an important role in bringing nothing but the best to our customers. If you're looking for a career in a company that's evolving, has a great culture and amazing opportunities within the Insurance Industry, CNA is the clear choice. As part of the CNA team, you'll work with motivated team members who have pride in - and passion for - what they do. Guided by our core values, we remain steadfast to our commitment to career growth and development for all levels of team members so they may navigate their own future and grow with the company. We are deeply rooted in our history and bringing together the best minds in insurance.
Reporting to the AVP, Underwriting, the successful candidate will be responsible to produce new business (Commercial Lines) in an effort to maximize underwriting profitability. They will work within designated authority and utilize underwriting policies and guidelines and insurance laws and regulations. Specifically, the candidate will be responsible for the following:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Reviews insurance applications and documentation to determine if the applicant is an acceptable risk in accordance with company guidelines and standards.
- Recommends appropriate pricing and coverage modifications or enhancements for risks after complete analysis and consideration of applicant documentation, business factors and competitive situations.
- Understands pricing components and rating methodology as well as use of the predictive modeling tools
- Uses all appropriate underwriting tools disciplines and knowledge of strategies to ensure underwriting guidelines are followed
- Quotes, negotiations and authorizes the acceptance of new business
- Prepares thorough referrals to management for approval on underwriting proposals outside of designated authority.
- Demonstrates technical underwriting skills through account reviews and file documentation
- Prepares quotes and answers questions from brokers, escalating issues to management as necessary. Negotiates with brokers to reach positive and profitable outcome
- Prepares or analyzes information on adverse underwriting decisions, rate appeals, underwriting requirements, status and declinations in order to drive results within the assigned territory
- Makes field visits to Broker offices to build relationship and better understand territory and market nuances; accompanies Risk Control on visits to insureds or prospective insureds to better understand risk control assessments relating to risk exposure and control
- Adheres to CAT guidelines and underwriting discipline to minimize exposure and appropriately price
- Interacts with Claim personnel on issues relating to specific claims, and other internal customers such as legal and actuarial concerning the insurability of prospective risks and continued insurability.
- Keeps current on provincial/national issues, regulations and trends
- Manages portfolio to achieve gross written premium, profitability, rate, retention, product mix, new business and portfolio management goals
- Prioritizes time and resources to effectively manage and optimize broker performance
- Operates with an Enterprise perspective to identify cross sell opportunities and create growth within other lines of business and customer segments
- Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of CNA's products and appetite while clearly communicating CNA's position at the point of sale
Sales & Distribution Management
- Builds/maintains rigorous sales practices using all CNA systems including SalesForce.com and other sales tools and disciplines
- Develops producer relationships to build pipeline, agency intelligence, and drives performance to meet and exceed results
- Develops and implements distributor specific plans, monitors performance, and adjusts plan to ensure a substantial pipeline for future profitable growth
- Drives effective relationship management and customers activities to build trust, facilitate negotiations and secure commitment with the customer
May perform additional duties as assigned.
In all responsibilities and interactions, all employees are expected to adopt and align with CNA's Winning Behaviours - to be externally focused, accountable, collaborative, innovative, inclusive and continuously learning.
Reports to the AVP, Underwriting for the department
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Knowledge of underwriting processes, coverages, and tools to gather and evaluate information in order to reach appropriate decisions on renewals and new business
- Ability to effectively interact and communicate with all levels of external and/or internal business partners within scope of responsibility, team and/or matrix environment
- Ability to uncover customer needs, position specific solutions, handle objections and close deals
- Ability to exercise judgment, negotiate and make sound business decisions effectively based on level of authority
- Strong ability to identify, analyze and solve problems as well as the ability to learn rapidly, adapt quickly to change, exercise influence, and manage and prioritize multiple concurrent projects
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment with limited supervision
- A proven track record in customer service coupled with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
- University degree, combined with CIP designation (or progress towards completion), 3 - 5 years of relevant underwriting experience
- Preferred candidates will possess experience dealing with and/or have exposure to working in a Commercial Broker environment.
As a full-time employee your benefits include:
- A competitive salary
- An annual performance bonus
- A pension plan
- Flexible work hours
- Top of the line medical and dental insurance
- And many more benefits (fitness subsidy, in-house training, etc.)
We are excited to learn more about you!
At CNA, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants based on job-related qualifications and ability to perform a job. If you require an accommodation during the hiring process or upon hire, please inform Human Resources. If a selected applicant requests accommodation during the recruitment process, CNA will consult with the applicant in order to provide suitable accommodation that takes into account the applicant's accessibility needs.
Only selected candidates will be contacted. No agencies please