Educational Developer New
Department: Academic Programs & Product Development
Reports to: Director, Academic Programs & Product Development
Job Summary: Currently recruiting for 2 Educational Developers (one being a full-time position, and the other one a 2-year contract), please indicate which one you are interested in.
This dynamic position is responsible for the design and development of Insurance Institute curriculum and related courseware solutions, including textbooks, assessments, online tutorials and learning activities, etc. The future incumbent will work both independently and as part of a cross functional team(s).
About the Insurance Institute
The Insurance Institute is the premier source of professional education and career development for the country's property and casualty insurance industry. Established in 1899, the Institute is a not-for-profit organization serving more than 39,000 members across Canada through 19 volunteer-driven provincial institutes and chapters. Over 20,000 of those members are students and more than 17,000 are graduates who have earned the Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP) designation or Fellow Chartered Insurance Professional (FCIP) designation. We are a founding member of the Institute for Global Insurance Education (IGIE).
Duties & Responsibilities
Curriculum Planning and Design
- Conduct needs assessments
- Identify course goal(s) and create associated learning objectives
- Develop curriculum blueprint/framework and course outlines
- Work with standardized curriculum templates
- Create assignments and activities/interactions
- Develop and/or edit formative and summative assessment questions
Courseware and Materials
- Collaborate with Project/Content Manager and cross functional teams (Academic Programs, Learning Technologies, Production, Operations, Exams, etc.) to develop textbooks, assignments online tutorials and/or eLearning courses/modules
- Develop rubrics to guide the grading of assignments and examinations
- Create and/or edit assessment questions for mid-term and/or final exams
- Identify relevant 3rd party educational resources e.g., videos, simulations, animation
Volunteers, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and Instructors
- Collaborate, guide, and edit SMEs' writing
- Work with volunteer committees who advise on IIC academic programs
- Liaise/partner with stakeholders to ensure curriculum blueprint and instructional design treatments are comprehensively designed and accurately developed
- Coach/guide instructors regarding best practices in facilitation, adult learning, and evaluation methods as necessary
Carry out other duties as assigned.
- Advanced skills in instructional design for adult learners
- Well versed in instructional design theories/approaches with an ability to apply them to various educational products (textbook/curriculum design, eLearning course development and within various modes of delivery (classroom, online, hybrid; synchronous/asynchronous)
- Ability to familiarize and work with content associated with insurance education such as risk, commercial lines, auto insurance, etc.
- Ability to develop engaging and appropriate assignments/projects based on course learning objectives
- Ability to create/write assessment questions, along with appropriate distractors and grading key/rubric
- Demonstrated skills in creativity and innovation in the design and development of eLearning using various rapid authoring tools (Storyline, Captivate, etc.)
- Familiar with fair usage/copyright policies and practices
- Bilingualism (English/French) is desirable/an asset
- Works well in teams and independently
- Very good attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills - written, verbal, presentation and facilitation
- Multimedia design/editing - graphics, audio, video, animation is an asset
- Related undergraduate degree (Education or Adult Education)
- Bachelor's degree in Education or related field (Instructional Design, Educational Technology, etc.); Master's preferred
- CTDP is an asset
- Insurance Institute/Insurance Licensing qualifications are an asset: General Insurance Essentials (GIE), Chartered Insurance Professional (CIP), Certified Risk Manager (CRM) or related insurance and/or financial training
- A minimum of 3-5 years' experience in instructional/curriculum design within an academic or learning environment
- Experience working in the financial services/p&c insurance industry is desirable
- Have managed and coordinated multiple projects and resources with competing deadlines
- Demonstrated success working with internal and external team members and/or volunteers to achieve project goals
- Have developed online courses accessed via a learning management system
- Familiarity with copyediting/production cycle of textbook development is an asset
- Familiarity with web accessibility (WCAG 2.0) and/or AODA guidelines is an asset
- Familiarity with SCORM and AICC functionality in Learning Management Systems - Moodle preferable - is an asset
- Familiarity with a Content Management System (CMS) is an asset
To Apply: Qualified applicants please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com prior to March 25, 2022. Please indicate which option you are interested in (i.e., full-time or 2-year contract) with your application.
Candidates will be expected to adhere to the Institute's mandatory vaccination policy and provide proof of full vaccination for employment.
The Insurance Institute welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.