What BCAA offers you:
- It's not in our nature to brag but we are proud of some of our achievements that recognize great employee culture. Some of our latest awards include being a 2019 Platinum level Best Employer by AON and being recognized as a 2018 Outstanding Workplace by YWCA.
- Our team members get to make a difference in the lives of our Members and their communities every day.
- We pride ourselves in being open and transparent and in empowering our people to do great work while serving our Members.
- We enthusiastically support learning and advancement opportunities for our team members.
- We are an equal opportunity employer that's committed to accessible, inclusive employment.
- Our Regular Full-Time & Part-Time+ (working 20 hours or more per week) status team members are eligible to participate in our amazing Total Rewards Program which offers: Extended Health and Dental, Vision Care, Life Insurance, RRSP matching with company contribution to your pension, access to Incentive Programs, Team Profit Sharing, Employee & Family Assistance Program and more.
- Team members at our Home Office also get to use our Shared EV (electric vehicle) Program, have access to our subsidized cafeteria and free fitness centre.
BCAA's Claims Department is looking for a Regular Full-time Claims Adjuster to join their team. The Claims Adjuster operates within Claims Performance Standards to Property and Casualty Insurance Claims (homeowners, recreational vehicle, travel accident benefits) primarily by telephone and determines if coverage is available for a loss within the insuring agreement, and then proceeds to settle or deny the claim. The scope of the position and the nature of the cases handled is determined by the Claims Characteristics Table accompanying the job description.
Investigate and Adjust Claims
- Advises insured of the rights and obligations in accordance with the policy and the appropriate Insurance Act.
- Maintains a professional working relationship with the insured.
- Investigates the claim in order to determine if the policy will respond to the loss and investigates the legitimacy of the claim.
- Interviews and/or takes statements from policyholders, claimants and witnesses.
- Reviews information including, but not limited to, estimates, photos and/or videos of property damage, proof of ownership, hospital records, and other pertinent information required to fully substantiate the claim.
- Receives and evaluates information to determine cost of loss.
- Informs manager if claim exceeds authority limits, making recommendations where appropriate.
- Sets and maintains appropriate reserves to maximum authority level.
- Ensures Service Delivery Partners are working within prescribed standards.
- Maintains updated, current and organized claims files in accordance with Claims Performance Standards.
Negotiate and Settle Claims:
- Negotiates a fair and cost effective settlement with the insureds', claimants or claimant's legal representative either directly or through the services of retained counsel.
- Validates information, including but not limited to invoices and receipts.
- Processes payments in accordance with BCAA best practices.
- Assesses economic feasibility to pursue subrogation and proceeds where appropriate.
- Arranges disposal of salvage arising from settled claims in accordance with departmental standards.
- Remains current on industry knowledge and incorporates information as appropriate.
- Participates in claims dispute resolution process as required.
- Periodically receives call and opens claim file.
- Carries out other related tasks and projects as assigned
- Education: Post-secondary diploma in business or related courses, programs, licenses (insurance related) and/or equivalent work experience.
- Experience: Minimum 4 years in an insurance/claims environment
- Technical: MS Office
- Excellent analytical skills
- Ability to handle irate people and stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability to adapt and be flexible to changing business needs
- Excellent listening skills
- Troubleshooting methodologies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and with other team members
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive when dealing with issues and challenges
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent multi-tasking and organizational skills
- CIP designation
- Second language