Closing Date: October 18, 2018
6 Month Contract, Full-time, 35 Hours per Week, Evening Hours and Weekends may be required
Competition #: 201897
Our Mission: As the nation-wide leader and champion for mental health, CMHA facilitates access to the resources people require to maintain and improve mental health and community integration, helps build resilience, and supports recovery from mental illness.
Our Organizational Values:
Client and Family Centered – through partnership, accountability and action
Culturally Competent – to provide the best service and work experience
Innovation – to bring value to our community
Team Values: Trust, Respect, Communication and Teamwork.
Hours of work: 35 hours per week. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
Location: Aurora, York Region & South Simcoe
The Social Worker collaborates with clients to provide individualized and flexible clinical counseling that will build relationships with clients and offers supports to promote recovery and prevent housing instability. Some of the issues addressed could include hoarding, safe boundaries and symptom management. The Social Worker facilitates and supports recovery for adults facing mental health challenges through empowerment and respect by providing a range of social, educational, and recreational services. Working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team and other service providers, the Social Worker coordinates and provides rehabilitation and support.
Using a recovery-based approach that is grounded in the social determinants of health, a harm reduction and anti-oppression framework, the Social Worker assists clients to develop and use interpersonal, social, and safe boundary skills that will optimize their strengths, improve their quality of life and promote housing stability. The Social Worker collaborates with a range of formal and informal services to implement the client’s case plan and assist the client in meeting recovery goals. The Social Worker will also be involved in facilitating groups. From time to time, the Social Worker may be required to intervene in crisis situations.
In addition to compliance with all organizational policies and procedures, the incumbent is also expected to behave ethically, demonstrate competence in effective communication and team building, demonstrate effectiveness in working in a collaborative environment, and demonstrate confidence in decision-making and in building relationships.
The Social Worker may be assigned to different programs as required based on need.
- B.S.W. with a minimum of 4 years experience or a M.S.W. with a minimum of 2 years experience in a community-based organization working with adults with serious mental illness
- Current registration with the OCSWSSW
- A second language (Cantonese, Farsi, Italian, Korean, Mandarin, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Urdu) reflecting the local community is preferred.
- Ability to apply Recovery principles and empowerment-oriented philosophies and practices in work with consumers
- Ability to observe boundaries, engage in appropriate emotional regulation, refrain from dual relationships with clients, maintain confidentiality, and engage in reasonable self-care strategies designed to reduce stress by balancing work/life responsibilities
- Knowledge of the Ontario Mental Health Act, mental health reform principles, the Substitute Decisions Act, the Health Care Consent Act and PHIPA requirements
- Extensive knowledge and experience facilitating groups.
- Extensive knowledge of supports and services in York Region, including formal and informal resources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office and Outlook
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, a minimum $1,000,000 third party liability insurance and proof that insurance covers use of personal vehicle to transport clients
- A satisfactory and current Vulnerable Sector Screening
This position reports to and is supervised by the Manager.
Working Conditions: Office work, community settings, meetings in clients’ homes and travel with clients
Disclaimer: In keeping with mental health reform, best practices, funding and direction this position may later require knowledge, skills, abilities and working conditions not noted here.
Why work for CMHA York Region?
We are team committed to our vision of mentally healthy people in a healthy society. That means we respect that our clients are the experts in their recovery journey and our role is to provide support, resources and opportunities based on their hopes and dreams. It means that we foster and encourage an entrepreneurial spirit to create, implement and sustain innovative, evidence based and transformational impact. We seek out and build partnerships, collaborate and share knowledge to be the most culturally competent team and fully integrated service delivery partner.
Our team cares for each other. We have our own team values of trust, respect, teamwork and communication. We hold ourselves accountable and we celebrate our wins. Because we risk, we learn and we take the opportunity and time to constantly improve our skills, the way we function as a team and ultimately deliver services. We are a team committed to mental health for all. Join us and be part of providing great care in great communities!
If you are interested in this opportunity, please follow the link on this posting or visit the Career section of our website. Complete the application form and submit cover letter and resume (PDF or Word) together as one (1) document / attachment in the Resume section, outlining how your experience matches our requirements, to the Human Resources Department quoting Competition # 201897.
CMHA, York Region Branch supports the recovery of people with mental illness and promotes diversity in the workplace. We welcome persons with lived experience, women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2SLGBTQ+, visible minority and immigrant communities to apply.
To request this posting in an alternate format or to request accommodation in the application process, email AODA@cmha-yr.on.ca
Online: www.cmha-yr.on.ca, under CAREERS section.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.