Community Support Worker In-STED
Posting for Community Support Worker
IN-Short Term Emergency Diversion (In-STED)
NEWWM Care Collaborative Team
The Canadian Mental Health Association - Peel Branch (CMHA/Peel) is pleased to announce that we are currently recruiting for the position of Community Support Worker – In STED.
This is a full time permanent position. Hours of work are weekdays with alternating shifts of 9 am to 5 pm and 11 am to 7 pm. This position will primarily be located at Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital as required.
Community Support Workers in this role provide short term support services to adults experiencing a range of mental illness and addictions issues, with heightened needs at time of initial contact. In hospital this includes assessing immediate needs, crisis planning, review of options and referral. Workers receive referrals from hospital staff and connect with clients in the emergency department or shortly after their emergency department visit. Service will be offered in collaboration with other agencies (SHIP and PCHC) and Brampton Civic Hospital and Etobicoke General Hospital. Workers use a combination of face-to-face and telephone to facilitate warm transfers, supporting development of crisis plans where no plan exists, individual appointments and group sessions.
Salary Band is $50,700 – $60,700 per year
To provide short-term case management for individuals identified within the hospital emergency department in the following areas:
- Assessment of client needs to determine appropriate supports; assess caregiver needs as appropriate including education on mental illness and support
- Establish crisis management plans with each client and develop risk management plans as needed
- Develop Short-Term Recovery Plans with each client and their supports
- Provide primarily phone supports to screen clients’ mental health status and initiate interventions to promote wellness and supports to enable clients to meet immediate goals
- Consult, advocate and liaise with community resources and agencies to assist clients in obtaining services.
- Monitor clients’ mental health and initiate interventions to promote wellness
- Provide education on mental illness and support for family of client
- Establish a follow up plan for clients prior to
- Role can include co-facilitation of groups as needs arise
- Maintain appropriate record-keeping/documentation and client files using statistical and outcome measurement tools as required by CMHA/Peel policies and procedures
- Follow PHIPA legislation and CMHA Peel Dufferin policies and procedures governing Privacy and client personal health information and health records.
- Work effectively and collaboratively with the Program team, and other program teams, internal and external to CMHA/Peel.
- S.W or University degree in a health related field is required. MSW is preferred.
- Must be a Regulated Health Professional and adhere to standards of practice as per designated college.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of demonstrated experience working in the addictions and/or mental health field.
- Experience working in a community setting and with community partners is essential.
- Demonstrated knowledge of serious mental illness, concurrent disorders and/or dual diagnosis, preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Recovery Principles, an asset.
- Dedicated team player, with strong communication skills.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills; able to manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Confident working in a hospital setting and with various teams both at the hospital and onsite
- Ability to work evening shifts as required.
- Enthusiastic problem solver, grounded in positive conflict resolution and goal setting practice
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office, Outlook, Client Record Management Systems.
- Knowledge of French or any other languages reflecting the diversity of Peel Region is an asset.
- A valid Canadian driver’s license, access to a reliable vehicle and relevant insurance.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police Check) report.
- Current CPR/First Aid certification
CMHA/Peel provides a supportive work environment with a competitive salary, plenty of training opportunities, excellent benefits and an emphasis on work-life balance. For a list of our Total Rewards, please visit the Careers page on our website. www.cmhapeeldufferin.ca
If this opportunity is of interest to you, please submit your cover letter and resume online via the link below:
CMHA/Peel Dufferin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please inform us if you require any accommodation during the hiring process.
CMHA/Peel will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code.