Accounting Assistant - 6 month full time contract position
Canadian Feed The Children (CFTC) – proudly and independently Canadian since 1986 – works to unlock children’s potential through community-led action in Canada and around the world. CFTC delivers development programs through local partners that have positive, meaningful, and sustained impact on children’s lives and on the self-sufficiency of their families and communities. Currently operating in five countries (Bolivia, Ethiopia, Ghana, Uganda, and in Indigenous communities in Canada), this award-winning, Imagine Canada Standards-accredited agency is at the leading edge of practice in the international development sector.
If you share our passion for bettering children’s lives, and thrive in a collaborative, values-based culture where creativity and innovation are rewarded, please consider applying for this role.
Reporting to the Controller, and serving as an integral member of the Finance team, the Accounting Assistant will primarily be responsible for: providing timely and accurate support to the Controller for all aspects of the financial reporting of the organization. This role requires sound analytical and technical knowledge of finance and accounting to carry out the duties required efficiently and effectively.
Accounts Payable (45%):
- Responsible for accounts payable, including record keeping, vendor statement reconciliations, filing, archiving and anticipated cash-flow
- Responsible for accurately recording HST and for making appropriate refund claims from government agencies.
- Responsible to verify all travel and staff expenses to ensure their propriety and compliance with CFTC policy reconciling them against cash advances and project
- Responsible for accurately recording expenses, ensuring proper back up documentation and propriety of charges incurred with corporate charge cards and ensuring timely payment of monthly
- Maintain and Update the Approved Vendor List.
General Accounting Duties (55%)
- Prepare journal entries, recurring entries, bank reconciliations, account reconciliations, perform account analysis, and other balance sheet items in preparation for the monthly and quarterly financial statements. Follow up on outstanding reconciliation
- Perform revenue analysis and reconciliations from data provided by fund raising supplier and Development Department staff, ensuring that CFTC bank accounts properly reflect revenues
- Assist the Controller to prepare for the annual
- Other duties as assigned
Key Qualifications & Competencies
Education and Experience
- Recognized qualification such as an accounting degree or working towards a(CPA) designation or an equivalent post-secondary degree and experience
- Excellent computer skills in a Windows environment (Word, Excel)
- At least 3 years’ experience working daily with SAGE 300 General Ledger, Accounts Payable and Reporting
- Exceptional attention to detail and extremely high level of
- Extremely organized with regard to all aspects of work, including record keeping and
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal
- Exceptional analytical and trouble shooting
- Experience working within cross-cultural environments and the ability to work effectively as part of a team and also independently
- This role requires sound analytical and technical knowledge of finance and accounting to carry out the duties required efficiently and
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels of staff, volunteers and external stakeholders.
- Highly motivated and proactive self-starter with demonstrated ability and passion to support a high productivity, professional, team-oriented environment.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, as may be required.
- Sound judgement and ability to maintain confidential information
Interested? Please submit your C.V. and covering letter to Danielle Mandell, VP, People via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the name of the position in the subject line. Internal candidates with the required skill-set are encouraged to apply by advising their manager and following the same process outlined above. Deadline for applications is Monday, December 17, 2018 at 5pm EST.
We thank all applicants for their interest however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Canadian Feed The Children is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
Canadian Feed The Children is committed to ensuring a barrier-free, accessible and inclusive work environment. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove any barrier to the hiring process to accommodate candidates with disabilities. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point during the recruitment and select.