The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA) seeks a full-time (4 days per week) Communications Assistant, based in Ottawa, to support its national communications team with media relations and online engagement, among other related tasks and projects. The CCPA, established in 1980, is Canada’s leading progressive think tank and is committed to a socially, economically and environmentally just Canada.
- Type: Full-time (4 days per week), unionized position, temporary with possibility of extension
- Duration: Monday, January 14, 2019 to Friday, May 10, 2019
- Salary: $62,500 prorated to four (4) days per week
The ideal candidate has experience in media relations, editing and writing, a knack for social media, and experience in, or an aptitude for learning, technical skills related to web posting and layout. The candidate is excited by the challenge of communicating progressive policy ideas and statistics as straightforward, digestible messages that are presented with elegant design. The candidate is a collaborative and adaptive team player who is willing to help tackle a range of communications work from the administrative to the creative.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support for media relations including media release drafting/editing and traditional media pitch list compilation.
- Write, edit and update content for CCPA websites, blogs, social media channels, and e-newsletters.
- Proofing of reports and other materials (content and layout).
- Actively engage with CCPA’s online communities and respond to public and supporter inquiries.
- Monitor metrics for assessing online success and provide regular detailed reports.
- Undertake administrative tasks related to online communications including posting approved material to the CCPA’s websites and blogs.
- In consultation with other communications staff, develop popular education materials, including shareable social media images and infographics.
- Other duties as required.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Excellent verbal, written and digital communications skills.
- Experience in media relations.
- Experience writing and editing for web and social media, and communicating in an organizational voice.
- Effective time management, and ability to manage multiple projects/tasks concurrently.
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy including in grammar and punctuation.
- Understanding of web design principles and experience designing visual content for the web is an asset.
- Knowledge of non-profit, social justice and labour organizations is an asset.
- Previous work in the field of journalism an asset.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
- Experience working with Mac OS, and ability to do basic technical troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and popular internet and email applications.
- Experience working with content management systems (Drupal, WordPress), social media (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube), and web-based email distribution systems (Emma, MailChimp).
- Competence in Adobe Creative Suite applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) or their equivalents will be considered an asset.
How to Apply
- The deadline to apply is the end of the day on Saturday, December 15, 2018.
- Applications should be sent via email to email@example.com with subject line “Application: Communications Assistant”.
- Please include (1) a letter of interest plus (2) a CV and/or LinkedIn profile.
- Links to your relevant recent works/samples are also welcome.
- Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is committed to developing an inclusive and equitable workplace and we strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to join our team.