Are you eager to contribute to a growing company? Does the idea of working at a fast-paced and globally connected company excite you? Join Burns & Wilcox and our Underwriting Team in our Toronto office, located downtown in the Bay-Adelaide Centre.
When someone needs insurance coverage for the unique, the unusual, or the unconventional, they come to Burns & Wilcox. Our Assistant Underwriters directly service a book of business under the supervision of an Underwriter, offering the opportunity to learn the specialty insurance business and career advancements into an Underwriter role.
- Service a book of business under the direct supervision of an underwriter
- Log applications, prepare binders, and process policies and endorsements
- Bind risk, post the invoice and process technical data
- Screen renewal applications and send out renewal letters; perform some of the underwriting and prepare quotes for underwriter approval
- Assist with new business development
- Order and follow up on inspections and handle endorsement requests and referrals for the underwriter
- Manage relationships with retail agents and follow up on any outstanding information needed to complete the underwriting file
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Insurance experience in underwriting and/or brokerage support with excess & surplus lines preferred
- Sales & marketing experience preferred
- Be technologically savvy and data driven
- Competitive base compensation
- Employer paid continuing education courses and designations
- Opportunities for career advancement
This is an outstanding opportunity for candidates with an entrepreneurial spirit, drive for career advancement, and desire to develop relationships while growing a book of business.
In 1969, the late Herbert W. Kaufman recognized an opportunity to fill a void in the industry by establishing Burns & Wilcox as a wholesale brokerage and underwriting organization that would provide brokers and agents with unique access to a variety of insurance markets and help place their specialty risks. Today under the leadership of Mr. Kaufman’s son, Alan Jay Kaufman, that entrepreneurial spirit is thriving as Burns & Wilcox Canada offers comprehensive solutions for retail insurance brokers and agents of all sizes.
Burns & Wilcox Canada is a subsidiary of the H.W. Kaufman Group. No other specialty insurance organization can match the unique ability of the H.W. Kaufman Group to broker, write, insure and finance the most highly specialized risks in the world.
Burns and Wilcox Canada is committed to treating all people in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence with a view to providing integration and equal opportunities for all. Burns and Wilcox Canada welcomes applications from all qualified individuals and will accommodate applicants’ disability-related needs in accordance with the respective provincial human rights codes throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. If you require a disability-related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the Recruiter or contact our Human Resources department at HRCanada@burns-wilcox.ca or 416.774.2477. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.