Additive Manufacturing Orthotic Technologist
Proposed period for the position: FULL TIME: May - December, 2021
Job Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Boundless Biomechanical Bracing is a client based service specializing in the evaluation, fabrication, application and delivery of orthotic devices. As part of our strategic plan, Boundless has prioritized the development and implementation of a digital workflow and additive manufacturing solution.
Boundless is creating the position “Additive Manufacturing Orthotic Technologist” (AMOT), with the vision to evolve this position into a permanent role within the Boundless human resources framework. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing a vision for Boundless in relation to achieving the strategic pillar stated.
Overall, the AMOT will be responsible for continuing the process of developing and implementing digital workflows for an array of orthotic designs and incorporating appropriate additive manufacturing strategies for the production of these orthoses. One of the AMOTs key responsibilities will be to work closely with Boundless professionals and partners to collaborate on the development of this process to make it a reality for the clients we serve.
Applications are open to Canadian citizens who have an undergraduate degree in engineering or a related technical discipline. Knowledge of and experience in the Orthotics and Prosthetics profession would be an asset, but not a requirement.
Key Responsibilities & Expectations:
The AMOTs responsibilities will include scanning, CAD modelling, developing efficient workflows for the design and 3D printing of the custom orthotic devices. This will also involve researching, developing and testing prototypes of orthoses and supporting Boundless Clinicians in patient-related projects.
- The AMOT will take a leadership role in Boundless’ digital workflow development and manufacturing of orthoses.
- Oversee and co-supervisor of Co-op students employed to support this role.
- Collaborate regularly and work with the Orthotic Resident/Biomedical Engineer on staff.
- Develop standardized protocols and procedures for additive manufacturing workflow
- Train and support clinicians and technicians with regard to the design and printing of orthoses and ensure appropriate knowledge is transferred to staff as required.
- Strong CAD background (SolidWorks, CATIA, 3D Experience, or similar).
- Knowledge or experience with 3D printing applications.
- Knowledge and/or interest in orthotics, anatomy, biomechanics, and material science fields.
- Collaborate with team members and partners in a multidisciplinary team.
- Manage the ongoing projects and related work identified.
- Self-motivated, efficient and able to work independently.
- Able to apply creative thinking and problem solving skills.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest in working in a clinical setting and comfortable interacting with patients.
- Organized, detail-oriented, and diligent
- Highly adaptable and willing to research solutions.
- Develop a robust, efficient and repeatable digital design workflow for orthotic specific applications within the software platform used.
- Generate internal documentation of workflow processes.
- 3D scan patients and use the applied software to process and clean scans.
- Collaborate with clinicians to digitally modify 3D limb models based on a clinical treatment plan.
- Design and model custom 3D-printable orthoses in collaboration with clinicians.
- Print prototype devices as required.
- Communicate with external 3D printing consultants as required.
- Involved in design validation projects.
Interested applicants are asked to upload their cover letter and resume via the following URL/Link - https://boundlessbracing.app.box.com/f/b2913b03a37347618cbecda693b56f49
Inquiries can be sent via email to <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
- Top ranked applicants will be invited to an interview and asked to submit references.
- Salary is negotiable and commensurate with experience and educational level attained.