Software Developer (Summer 2020) - 8 month Co-op & Internships
Address: 100 King Street West
Job Family Group: Technology
As a co-op/intern student at BMO, you will have the opportunity to be heard, keep growing and make a difference. You will be part of our campus program to gain the skills and knowledge needed to take on roles similar to the description listed below.
Our student experience is designed to integrate you to the BMO team from day one by adding value in the work you do. You will have the opportunity to participate in programs such as the Women in Technology Mentorship Program, BMO First Friend peer assignment, BMO Social Squad student-led activities, BMO U corporate learning platform and access to various Employee Resource Groups to further develop your network within BMO. Returning students joining us in Summer 2020 will have the opportunity to attend a 3 day Student Leadership Summit held at the BMO Institute for Learning.
Note: To apply for this opportunity, please submit your cover letter, resume and an unofficial copy of your academic transcript. By applying for this general posting, you will be considered for a number of different student opportunities across multiple locations. If you are selected to move forward, you will be provided additional information.
Understands that the success of a developer is to understand the core business processes of the business unit and business requirements as well as the architecture patterns and technology strategy (e.g., Transformation, SmartCore, DevOps). Conceive and write detailed software implementations/code while ensuring that their code/configurations adhere to the security, logging, error handling, and performance standards and non-functional requirements. Writes, configures, and integrates code to create the software that aligns with architecture patterns and technology strategy. Understands the implications of various components (including technology strategy & architecture) to the overall design of a program, system, or eco-system. Evaluates new technologies for fit with the program/system/eco-system and the associated upstream and downstream impacts on process, data, risk (e.g., security). Works toward the objective of defect free software. Ensures that systems functionally meet requirements, align with architecture and promote the development of common assets. Supports the resolution of production issues and problems. Makes recommendations to improve BMO processes & systems.
- Supports research and development of development frameworks, and definition of standards.
- Leads and implements initiatives as required to deliver business objectives.
- Conducts independent analysis and assessment to resolve strategic issues.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders and ensures alignment.
- Monitors and tracks performance, and addresses any issues.
- Reviews the work of other team members as required.
- Provides input into the planning and implementation of operational programs.
- Decomposes business requirements and translates them into detailed design specifications and code.
- Interacts with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers.
- Assesses the costs and benefits for different solutions and recommend/decide on appropriate designs.
- Designs solutions, writes code, performs unit testing, develops appropriate artifacts / documentation, and facilitates final delivery.
- Supports production issues, includes independently completing root-cause analysis and diagnosis.
- Devises new algorithms and data structures for target environment and platform attributes in alignment with architectural patterns.
- Builds solutions that are supportable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets.
- Recommends or automates approaches to streamline and integrate technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Supports the management of specific project deliverables & outcomes.
- Identifies opportunities to strengthen the development capability, such as: sharing expertise to promote technical development, mentoring employees, building communities of practice and networks.
- As a full-time employee, we would require 2-4 years of experience, however as part of the BMO campus program, we are looking for motivated individuals with a strong desire to learn.
- You’re pursuing post-secondary education in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Analytics or Math
- Proficient level of knowledge in domain.
- Knowledge of software development practices, concepts, and technology obtained through formal training and/or work experience.
- Knowledge of required programming languages and can code with little oversight.
- Knowledge of technical/business environment and processes.
- Understand functional aspects and technical behavior of the underlying operating system, development environment, and deployment practices.
- Have facility with and understanding of the ecosystem that code operates in.
- Technical proficiency gained through education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Data driven decision making - In-depth.
We’re here to help
At BMO we are driven by a shared Purpose: Boldly Grow the Good in business and life. It calls on us to create lasting, positive change for our customers, our communities and our people. By working together, innovating and pushing boundaries, we transform lives and businesses, and power economic growth around the world.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and network-building opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.