Software Developer - 4 or 8 months (Winter 2020 Co-op Pipeline)
Technology plays a vital role at BMO. Based on our enterprise technology vision, we lead the development and implementation of innovative and cost effective information technology strategies, multiyear investment plans, solutions and operational environments that support and enable BMO lines of business to meet defined strategies. This includes:
- Delivering solutions on time, on budget with engineered designs, quality, costs and operational readiness.
- Running an efficient and effective technology infrastructure and information technology operations which reduces ongoing costs and leverages common assets while delivering increased service level performance.
- Safeguarding our environments, data, intellectual property, and operating within our risk appetite.
The Software Developer will get an understanding of the core business processes, business requirements as well as the architecture patterns and technology strategy (e.g., Transformation, SmartCore, DevOps). You will conceive and write detailed software implementations/code while ensuring that their code/configurations adhere to the security, logging, error handling, and performance standards and non-functional requirements. Through your involvement in the team, you will understand the implications of various components (including technology strategy & architecture) to the overall design of a program, system, or eco-system.
As a Software Developer at BMO, here’s what you will do:
- You will decompose business requirements, and translate them into detailed design specifications and code.
- You will interact with key business & technology stakeholders to define, analyze, and deliver requirements that reflect the needs of both the business and end-customers.
- You will design solutions, write code, perform unit testing, develop documentation, and facilitate final delivery.
- You will prepare reports, build guides and other documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of the applications.
- You will support production issues, including independently complete root-cause analysis and diagnosis.
- You will aim to build solutions that are supportable, scalable and achieve our aspiration of common assets.
- You will recommend approaches to automate, streamline, and integrate technological processes and/or systems to improve operational efficiency and effectiveness.
Software Developer Co-op opportunities are available in our Toronto, Scarborough and Barrie offices.
What makes you a great fit?
- You’re Tech Savvy, pursuing post-secondary education in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or Math, and available for a Winter 2020 work term
- You have knowledge of software development practices and concepts
- You’re knowledgeable in programming languages. You can code with little oversight, and understand the ecosystem that code operates in
- You have knowledge of technical/business environment and processes.
- You have a good understanding of functional aspects and technical behavior of the underlying operating system, development environment, and deployment practices
How do you apply?
Click the link to apply online. Have a copy of your resume, cover letter and transcript ready. Please indicate your preferred availability (4mo, 8mo, 8mo+), and location preference in your cover letter or resume.
If we think you might be a good fit, we’ll contact you for a hiring manager interview. During the interview we’ll ask you technical and behavioural questions to see if you’re a good fit for the role and BMO culture.
Why work as a co-op student at BMO?
As a co-op student at BMO, you will have the opportunity to be heard, keep growing and make a difference. You will:
- Be a member of the team from day one and will do work that adds value.
- Network and build connections with peers and senior leaders.
- Participate in learning and development opportunities to take your skills and knowledge to the next level.
- Work collaboratively with your peers to develop and present a solution to a business challenge.
We’re here to help
At BMO we have a shared purpose; we put the customer at the centre of everything we do – helping people is in our DNA. For 200 years we have thought about the future—the future of our customers, our communities and our people. We help our customers and our communities by working together, innovating and pushing boundaries to bring them our very best every day. Together we’re changing the way people think about a bank.
As a member of the BMO team you are valued, respected and heard, and you have more ways to grow and make an impact. We strive to help you make an impact from day one – for yourself and our customers. We’ll support you with the tools and resources you need to reach new milestones, as you help our customers reach theirs. From in-depth training and coaching, to manager support and networkbuilding opportunities, we’ll help you gain valuable experience, and broaden your skillset.
To find out more visit us at https://bmocareers.com.
BMO is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. By learning from each other’s differences, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. To request accommodation, please contact your recruiter.