Data Scientist - 4 or 8 months (Winter 2020 Co-op Pipeline)
Technology plays a vital role at BMO. Based on our enterprise technology vision, we lead the development and implementation of innovative and cost effective information technology strategies, multiyear investment plans, solutions and operational environments that support and enable BMO lines of business to meet defined strategies. This includes:
- Delivering solutions on time, on budget with engineered designs, quality, costs and operational readiness.
- Running an efficient and effective technology infrastructure and information technology operations which reduces ongoing costs and leverages common assets while delivering increased service level performance.
- Safeguarding our environments, data, intellectual property, and operating within our risk appetite.
The Data Scientist will identify opportunities to improve BMO's IT Operations and/or the business services we deliver to our customers by utilizing statistical analysis (i.e. descriptive, inferential, differences, associative, predictive), and data science techniques such as machine learning, deep learning, graph/node analysis, etc. This role will use data analytics and data visualization skills to provide insight into our environment and provide intelligence that will act as a catalyst of change to improve application/systems availability, reduce or eliminate process inefficiencies, or reduce risk in Technology Operations.
As a Data Scientist, here’s what you will do:
- You will work with Technology domain subject matter experts (SMEs) to design, develop, and implement innovative analytical solutions for data cleansing, statistical transformation, feature engineering & selection.
- You will apply data science methodologies to mine data, using various tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, Splunk, ELK; and/or by coding in programming languages such as Python, R, etc.
- You will create effective visualizations to tell the story about the analysis using tools such as Tableau, Spotfire, and/or coding using data visualization libraries D3.
- You will develop and document algorithms for machine learning and deep learning, and investigate the use of ML or predictive models towards prevention or prediction of analyzed events.
- You will have the chance to present your findings to SMEs, management and executives.
Data Scientist Co-op opportunities are available in our Toronto, Scarborough and Barrie offices.
What makes you a great fit?
- You’re Data Savvy, pursuing post-secondary education in Business, Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, Analytics or Math, and available for a Winter 2020 work term
- You can demonstrate solid communication skills, and posess strong relationship management skills at a senior level.
- You are a continuous learner, with integrative skills and creativity to drive innovation.
- You possess advanced critical thinking skills. An ability to build a strong fact base, apply sound reasoning, and generate solution focused recommendations for success
- You are able to work highly independently and manage multiple priorities in an agile fast paced environment.
How do you apply?
Click the link to apply online. Have a copy of your resume, cover letter and transcript ready. Please indicate your preferred availability (4mo, 8mo, 8mo+), and location preference in your cover letter or resume.
If we think you might be a good fit, we’ll contact you for a hiring manager interview. During the interview we’ll ask you technical and behavioural questions to see if you’re a good fit for the role and BMO culture.