Accountant, MaRS Real Estate
Reporting to the Manager, Property Accounting, the Accountant will support the general real estate accounting processes for the MaRS complex, including month end journal entries and account reconciliations. The accountant will work closely with the Property Administration and MaRS Finance teams to support the accounts payable and accounts receivable function and assist in the preparation of monthly financial statements.
They will also play a role in supporting business analyses and management decisions relating to the MaRS Centre, by creating and maintaining detailed budget and forecast models, and providing thorough analyses of results versus budgets and reforecasts.
This is a unique opportunity that involves a combination of property accounting, financial and management reporting.
The successful candidate will be detail-oriented and proactive, with a strong knowledge of accounting and business principles, and an advanced knowledge of MS Excel. This individual is eager to learn, has strong customer-service skills and adapts well to change. Knowledge of MRI accounting software is considered an asset.
Key Job Responsibilities
- Ensure accounting and financial practices are executed in accordance with GAAP and established internal controls.
- Ensure monthly accruals and journal entries are prepared on a timely basis, meeting set deadlines for completion of the monthly close.
- Ensure monthly general ledger account reconciliations are prepared for review, highlighting issues to be resolved and preparing adjusting entries as required.
- Prepare weekly cash flow analysis to ensure bank transfers can be completed in a timely manner.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations including follow up and correction of outstanding item(s).
- Prepare and record operating costs and realty tax adjustments on a monthly basis and complete recovery shortfall analyses.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly financial statement package.
- Prepare year end operating cost statements and final billings to tenants.
- Maintain tenant recovery models in Excel and ensure they agree to recovery methodology and Leases.
- Ensure commodity tax remittances (HST) are prepared and filed.
- Provide support for the annual audit through preparation of schedules and supporting documentation.
- Assist with the preparation of detailed annual budgets, forecast and reforecasts for assigned properties or business units.
- Analyze financial and non-financial information by querying the MaRS ERP and other systems.
- Liaise with various departments/teams regarding related accounting matters, provide accounting guidance and respond to queries.
- Special projects as assigned
- University degree/College diploma
- Pursuing professional accounting designation (CPA) with compensating business-experience
- 3-5 years’ work experience
- Advanced MS Excel skills
- Experience in general ledger and account reconciliations
- Experience in Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Attention to detail and quality without losing sight of bigger picture
- Embrace collaborative sharing of knowledge within a teamwork environment
- Able to contribute and collaborate cross functionally
- Exceptional service orientation with strong interpersonal skills
- Driven to achieving results and continuously striving to deliver the highest performance through creative thinking
- Ability to manage shifting priorities and function calmly and effectively under pressure
- Confident in own abilities
- High integrity and transparency
- Values diversity and culture
This position is based at the MaRS Discovery District in Toronto, Ontario Canada.
What it's like to work at MaRS
- MaRS is a vibrant, architecturally inspiring innovation hub with 1.5 million square feet of laboratory, collaboration, and office space connected directly to the Queen’s Park subway stop at College and University. MaRS employees enjoy many perks such as:
- Access to a wide array of fascinating conferences and lectures hosted by MaRS
- A very active social committee that organizes potlucks, “serendipity coffee” dates, the annual MaRS Summer Games, team building outings, summer golf day, and more
- The MaRS softball team, yoga at noon, and discounted gym memberships
- Indoor bike parking and showers
- Our mission-driven organization is filled with passionate, smart people who are finding and turning the levers that will move the economic needle of Canada’s technology-based future.
- For more about what it’s like to work at MaRS and why you might want to be a part of something bigger than yourself, check out our profile on B Meaningful.
- Open-concept office environment with operating business hours of 8:30am to 5pm Monday to Friday.
- Applicants must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- MaRS Discovery District is committed to diversity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including aboriginal persons, francophones, members of sexual minority groups, persons with disabilities, visible minorities and women. We will provide any requested accommodation to candidates with disabilities throughout the recruitment process.
Please note that we will be reviewing candidates on a rolling basis.
Applications are due by 4:30 PM EST, Friday August 02, 2019.