POSITION: Community Housing Support Worker
LOCATION: Newmarket/East Gwillimbury
HOURS OF WORK: Days/Evenings/Weekends
STATUS: Contract (ends April 2019) Full Time 40 hours/week
Blue Door Shelters is a not-for-profit registered charitable agency governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. We have been an integral part of our community providing essential emergency shelter services since 1982. Blue Door Shelter’s mission is to provide safe and supportive shelter and services for people who are homeless or at risk of being homeless. We serve all of York Region through our three homeless shelters:
- Leeder Place Family Shelter
- Porter Place Men’s Shelter
- York Region Youth Shelter
Reporting to the Shelter Manager, the Community Housing Support Worker is a social worker, or equivalent, who assists homeless individuals, including men, families and/or youth in the shelters to find, get and keep permanent housing in the community.
- Minimum Bachelor of Social Work Degree or equivalent, or combination of Bachelor level education and experience.
- An ability to work independently.
- Background in program research and evaluation desirable.
- Strong interpersonal skills with clients and colleagues and commitment to team approach.
- Understanding and promotion of anti-oppressive practices
- Fluency in a second language or lived experience
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must have a reliable vehicle and appropriate insurance.
- An understanding of homelessness, mental health and addiction issues would be an asset.
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Screening Report
Supports the delivery of service programs for Blue Door Shelters
Help individuals and/or families seek and secure permanent housing.
Short term counseling and /or connection to long- term resources for counseling.
Research housing options.
Build connections to community resources.
Skills development and management to promote independent living.
Record keeping. Research on effectiveness of program. Track trends. Prepare reports on projects.
Participation at York Region Alliance on Homelessness and Social Isolation and/or other community activities.
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices.
Landlord relationship building.
Other duties as assigned.
For all staff: Supports the overall services at Blue Door Shelters
- Able and willing to promote harm reduction practices and anti-oppression practice
- Complete documentation, including reports and case notes, and collect data as required
- Attend internal staff meetings and staff training as required
- Provide regular monthly reports
- Maintain the confidentiality of all client and agency information
- Other duties as assigned.
For all staff: Occupational Health & Safety
- All employees are responsible for carrying out work in a way that does not adversely affect their own health and safety and that of others
All employees shall learn and understand health and safety policies and procedures and will comply with them
In keeping with our ongoing efforts to promote equity and reflect the diversity of York Region, we encourage applications from Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities, LGBT, members of visible minorities and women.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and Blue Door Shelters AODA Policy, accommodationwill be provided in all parts of the hiring process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
All applications will be reviewed as received, and interviews will begin for qualified candidates as soon as possible. The position may be filled before this job posting ends. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please submit a cover letter and resume to:
Blue Door Shelters
Fax: (905) 898-6414