Part-Time Support Worker
To professionally work as part of a team to provide quality ongoing primary support for Individuals in a residential setting, maximizing their potential in a safe environment.
Duties and responsibilities
To follow Beth Tikvah’s philosophy of community integration and adult living, and implement agency policies and procedures at all times.
1. Medical/Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Support Individuals in all areas of physical/health needs.
- Within 24 hours of occurrence, write up Incident Reports/Seizure Reports and submit to supervisor.
- Working knowledge of the emergency pager system and ability to implement when necessary.
- Working knowledge of location fire and safety procedures as well as a basic knowledge of first aid and ability to implement as necessary.
2. Communication Responsibilities
- Responsible for enhancing Individuals’ communication skills
- Proper utilization of Communication Binder and appropriate follow up.
- Become completely familiar with each Individual’s history on their caseload.
- Prepare shift reports daily.
- Redirect to Supervisor for issue clarification and concerns.
- Attend house meetings.
3. Life Skills Responsibilities
- Assist and support Individuals in enhancing their interpersonal/social skills.
- Assist and support Individuals with regards to the awareness of one’s Judaic or any other religious background.
- Assist and support Individuals in their leisure time activities.
- Assist and support Individuals with regards to their daily living skills.
- Assist and Support Individuals in increasing their ability to work in an appropriate manner in their work environment
- Assist and support Individuals with regard to maintaining relationships with family, staff, and significant others.
- Assist as necessary in following through on Individuals appointments.
4. Program Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of individual programs.
- Submit any medical changes to Supervisors within 24 hours.
5. Administrative Responsibilities
- Participate in regularly scheduled supervision with the appropriate supervisor.
- Follow through on directives within a time frame given by Supervisors.
- Attend meetings and in-service training sessions as directed by Supervisors.
- Responsible for completing a personnel timesheet and submit to the supervisor for approval.
- Responsible for daily household living maintenance.
- Liaise with other agency staff and families, as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This position requires knowledge of the philosophy of working with individuals with special needs.
- A minimum of 1 year of experience working with special needs individuals
- Ability to obtain and maintain standard first-aid/CPR
- Submission of a Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Completion of University or College program in a related field
Those working towards the completion of a university or college program may be considered.
This job requires working in residential settings that may become stressful. Applicants should be prepared to work alone or with a team and with individuals with various levels of independence, support needs, or challenging behaviors. Employees filling this position may be required to lift 50lbs or more.