Part-Time Support Worker
To professionally work as part of a team to provide quality ongoing primary support for Individuals in a residential setting, maximizing their potential in a safe environment.
Duties and responsibilities
To follow Beth Tikvah’s philosophy of community integration and adult living, and implement agency policies and procedures at all times.
1. Medical/Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Support Individuals in all areas of physical/health needs.
- Within 24 hours of occurrence, write up Incident Reports/Seizure Reports and submit to supervisor.
- Working knowledge of the emergency pager system and ability to implement when necessary.
- Working knowledge of location fire and safety procedures as well as a basic knowledge of first aid and ability to implement as necessary.
2. Communication Responsibilities
- Responsible for enhancing Individuals’ communication skills
- Proper utilization of Communication Binder and appropriate follow up.
- Become completely familiar with each Individual’s history on their caseload.
- Prepare shift reports daily.
- Redirect to Supervisor for issue clarification and concerns.
- Attend house meetings.
3. Life Skills Responsibilities
- Assist and support Individuals in enhancing their interpersonal/social skills.
- Assist and support Individuals with regards to the awareness of one’s Judaic or any other religious background.
- Assist and support Individuals in their leisure time activities.
- Assist and support Individuals with regards to their daily living skills.
- Assist and Support Individuals in increasing their ability to work in an appropriate manner in their work environment
- Assist and support Individuals with regards to maintaining relationships with family, staff and significant others.
- Assist as necessary in following through on Individuals appointments.
4. Program Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of individual programs.
- Submit any medical changes to Supervisors within 24 hours.
5. Administrative Responsibilities
- Participate in regular scheduled supervision with appropriate supervisor.
- Follow through on directives within a time frame given by Supervisors.
- Attend meetings and in-service training sessions as directed by Supervisors.
- Responsible for completing a personnel time sheet and submit to the supervisor for approval.
- Responsible for daily household living maintenance.
- Liaise with other agency staff and families, as required.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This position requires knowledge of the philosophy of working with individuals with special needs.
- - A minimum of 1 year of experience working with special needs individuals
- - Ability to obtain and maintain first-aid/CPR
- - Submission of a Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- - Completion of University or College program in a related field
Those working towards the completion of a university or college program may be considered.
This job requires working in residential settings that may become stressful. Applicants should be prepared to work with individuals with various levels of independence, support needs, or challenging behaviours. Employees filling this position may be required to lift 50lbs or more.