Live Events Operator, Wage Schedule A, 12 months Contract, Bell Express Vu
Req Id: 375295
At Bell, we do more than build world-class networks, develop innovative services and create original multiplatform media content – we’re revolutionizing how Canadians communicate.
If you’re ready to bring game-changing ideas to life and join a community that values bold ideas, professional growth and employee wellness, we want you on the Bell team.
The TV & Wireline Network Operations Team is seeking a dynamic and innovative professional in the area of Broadcast Operations to join our team of trained network experts committed to delivering Canada’s best content and services to our customers through next-generation services for TV. We build and deliver stunning picture quality and reliable service for all of Bell’s video services and manage a fleet of Bell’s satellites with 24 hour support. Bell has the best network because we have the best people on our team. And with you, Bell just got better!
As a Live Events Operator you will be a member of the Operations Department supported by the Manager of Operations. This position is responsible for providing 24/7 operations support at our Scarsdale broadcast centre.
This role will support the specialty sports packages, big ticket and movie events for PPV, Business TV services, 3rd party content support and broadcast hosting on all available Bell TV platforms.
Responsibilities will include:
- QC and daily setup of sports packages, Big Ticket Events, special Business TV broadcasts, and hosting 3rd party services
- Ensuring all events make their way to air on time on their respective channels on all available platforms
- Working closely with backhaul providers to book fibre feeds
- Regular professional communication with Business TV customers to ensure all of their broadcast requirements are met
- Working closely with programming to determine daily needs for all Live Events airing on all platforms
- Creating daily room schedules and switch/route sheets to ensure resource availability
- Testing new tools and automation while using the Network 3.0 values
- Track, review and correct any daily faults
- Troubleshoot technical problems with both internal and external signals
- Maintain communication with service providers as required
- Update all network contact information on a regular basis
- Collaborate with other departments & clients to offer a seamless uninterrupted customer viewing experience and address any changes or issues related to the system in use
- Encoding live events for playback
- Patching around equipment failures; utilize backup sources
- Knowledge of backhaul infrastructure network
- Shift rotation in a 24/7 environment which includes holidays & weekends
- Management of CGs; Still Store
- Update troubleshooting documentation and maintain support documentation
- Train new Live Events operators and TechB staff on all required duties
- Management of automation playlists for alerts and taking action quickly when required
- Live Event-PPV shared channel NMX switching and routing
- QC management of PPV assets
- General A/V checks across PPV & Live Event channels
The qualified candidate will be able to observe and react quickly to any problems that may arise in the live feed areas. The Live Events operator must be able to work with others as a team, at the same time being a true team leader and be able to understand and troubleshoot quickly and accurately.
- 4-6 years experience in a broadcast environment
- Experience in broadcasting Live Events
Skills and Knowledge:
- Thorough knowledge of both digital broadcast and IP technology
- Good understanding of baseband signal flow
- Organization skills and high attention to detail
- Proficient troubleshooting ability
- Technical knowledge of RF Satellite delivery
- Backhaul delivery methods (IP, Fibre, etc)
- Understands full broadcast signal flow from end to end
- Proficiency in computer skills and applications (ie. MS Office suite, Atlassian, Trello and other integrated applications)
- Demonstrable use of Agile and DevOps values in daily approach
- Proficient use of media file servers and broadcast schedule automation systems
- Self-Motivated with proven leadership skills
- Ability to multi-task and monitor a large # of events simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, delegate and communicate for team success
- Ability to handle high pressure environment which could generate over $1m in revenue
- Ability to think outside the box to restore signals on-air
- Interest and knowledge in the world of sports
- Post Secondary Graduate Diploma in Broadcasting, or similar related field
Bilingualism is an asset (English and French); adequate knowledge of French is required for positions in Quebec.
Position Type: Union
Job Status: Temporary - Full time
Job Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Flexible work profile : Full-time in office (meaning that you will be required to perform your work on-site)
Application Deadline: 05/29/2022
Please apply directly online to be considered for this role. Applications through email will not be accepted.
At Bell, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible workplace where every team member feels valued, respected, and supported, and has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email your recruiter directly or firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. If you have questions regarding accessible employment at Bell please email our Diversity & Inclusion Team at email@example.com.
Created: Canada, ON, Toronto
Bell, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers.