Data Engineer, Bell Media
Req Id: 353732
At Bell, we do more than build world-class networks, develop innovative services and create original multiplatform media content - we advance how Canadians connect with each other and the world.
If you’re ready to bring game-changing ideas to life and join a community that values professional growth and employee wellness, we want you on the Bell team.
The Bell Media team creates and delivers the best Canadian and international content across our digital media, television, radio, and out-of-home advertising platforms. We’re looking for innovative team players ready to take some of the most well-known entertainment brands in the country to the next level.
Are you someone who lives and breathes digital? Are you naturally curious about how people consume media? Bell Media is looking for people who think this way and want to create exceptional digital experiences for Canadians. As the guardians of some of Canada’s most respected brands, such as TSN, CTV, RDS and Crave, we want Canadians to be entertained and engaged in our brands long past the 21st century, even as technology changes at lightning speed. Entertainment and information are our currency and maintaining our relevance to Canadians and their lives is what drives our work every day. That’s why we’re looking for exceptional talent to push the Bell Media digital business transformation that has already begun. If this sounds like you, consider applying today.
As the Lead Data engineer at Bell Media, you will have in depth experience and a passion for working with data at scale at a large company. You are able to find solutions and tools to help the organization optimize their business performance by managing, sorting and filtering volumes of data as well as extracting meaningful value from these large volumes of data. You will design and build robust data pipelines using scalable tools and techniques (to produce high quality data structures and implement quicker data processing methods and integrate complex business logic compatible with daily or real-time/streaming frameworks). You are self-directed, operationally minded, and motivated, with strong data, project management, and influencing skills, and you thrive in team settings where you can use your creative and analytical prowess to solve problems. You’re passionate about digital technology, and you take pride in making a tangible difference.
- High-energy self-starter with experience and passion for data and big data scale processing - you enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- Translate technical concepts into easy-to-understand language for stakeholders
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and AWS ‘big data’ technologies
- Work with business partners, other product managers, developers and engineering to gather functional and technical requirements around Data infrastructure and architecture
- Be the guiding voice of the Bell Media data analytics infrastructure roadmap
- Build, maintain and evolve the data analytics stack
- Oversee and manage AWS infrastructure and cost
- Create the foundational layer of Bell Media’s modern data analytics stack, migrating brands such as Crave, TSN and CTV from on-perm to cloud based SaaS and serverless technologies
- Work with POs, developers and other internal stakeholders to keep them abreast of changes, features and new functionality impacting their daily work
- Manage vendor relationships and support tickets
- Integrate internal and external data sources via APIs or custom pipelines
- Own all BI and product tool integrations e.g. Looker, Google Analytics, Braze, etc.
- Manage and mentor analytics engineers
- 5+ years of hands-on years as a Data Engineering or an Analytics Engineer Experience with cloud based applications
- Knowledge in AWS or GCP (preferred), Azure
- Experience in AWS services such as Redshift, Lambda, Glue, EMR, EC2, EKS and Step Functions or GCP Equivalent
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Previously built or maintained modern data analytics stack infrastructure
- Experience in orchestration tools like Airflow, Dagster, Perfect or dbt cloud
- Experience in dbt (preferred) and data modeling in general
- Working knowledge of BI tools such as Looker, Tableau, Mode or Metabase
- Experience in DataOps or Software CI/CD practices
Bilingualism is an asset (English and French); adequate knowledge of French is required for positions in Quebec.
Position Type: Management
Job Status: Regular - Full Time
Job Location: Canada : Ontario : Toronto || Canada : Ontario : Ajax || Canada : Ontario : Etobicoke || Canada : Ontario : Guelph || Canada : Ontario : Hamilton || Canada : Ontario : Kingston || Canada : Ontario : Mississauga || Canada : Ontario : Oakville || Canada : Ontario : Oshawa || Canada : Ontario : Pickering || Canada : Ontario : Waterloo || Canada : Quebec : Montreal || Canada : Quebec : Verdun
Flexible work profile: Mobile
Application Deadline: 05/27/2022
Please apply directly online to be considered for this role. Applications through email will not be accepted.
At Bell, we don’t just accept difference - we celebrate it. We’re committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible workplace where every team member feels valued, respected, and supported, and has the opportunity to reach their full potential. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. For a confidential inquiry, simply email your recruiter directly or firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements. If you have questions regarding accessible employment at Bell please email our Diversity & Inclusion Team at email@example.com.
Created: Canada, ON, Toronto
Bell, one of Canada's Top 100 Employers.