AYSP is a compassionate team of professionals dedicated to helping children; youth and families manage mental health and/or justice issues to realize their potential. We work from a client-centered, strength-based approach to engage all children, youth, and families in a manner which is culturally sensitive, non-judgmental and respectful. Working together with our service partners using a multi-systems perspective, AYSP provides services that are evidence-based and evidence-informed.
Our staff bring a wide range of knowledge and professional experience from diverse backgrounds to our workplace. Our teams have a strong collaborative work ethic and we are committed to ongoing professional development to ensure a high quality of service. AYSP offers flexible work arrangements and a competitive salary and benefits program.
We are currently seeking a 2SLGBTQ+ Counsellor to join our dynamic team. Ideal candidates should be passionate about serving youth and families and have strong therapeutic skills and child/youth and family engagement skills.
In this Permanent Full-Time, Bargaining Unit Position, incumbents are expected to:
· Provide individual counselling and community support to 2SLGBTQ+ youth, aged 12-18
· Respond to youth, caregiver and service provider inquiries and referrals
· Provide counselling and support to parents/caregivers of 2SLGBTQ+ youth
· Facilitate weekly support groups for 2SLGBTQ+ youth aged 12-18
· Develop and maintain strong community partnerships with service providers, networks and coalitions in Peel and assist 2SLGBTQ+ youth in accessing appropriate community services
· Participate in community events and activities related to the 2SLGBTQ+ community and act as a community resource
· Provide community capacity building workshops and training related to the 2SLGBTQ+ issues
· Maintain professional documentation, in the form of assessments, case notes, discharge summaries and statistical information
· Work flexible hours related to the treatment needs of the clients, evening work will be required
· Regularly transport clients in own vehicle as required
Individuals with the following qualifications are invited to apply with their cover letter and resume to: https://secure.collage.co/jobs/aysp. The posting will remain open until filled.
· Masters Degree in Social Work or post-secondary degree with experience within the mental health sector
· Membership in the appropriate professional regulatory body under the Psychotherapy Act
· Knowledge of/experience working with 2SLGBTQ+ community
· Experience and working knowledge of a strength-based approach utilizing Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Brief Solution Focused Therapy, Systems Theory, and engagement strategies for youth
· Experience in group leadership and facilitation
· Demonstrated understanding of the value of nurturing inclusion of diverse racial, cultural, linguistic, sexual, gender, ability and other experiences
· Must possess a valid Ontario Driver’s License and provide own transportation, with appropriate liability insurance and evidence of coverage for transporting clients
· Current, Clear Vulnerable Sector Screening
· Fluency in French or other languages is considered an asset
Salary Range: $46,000 - $55,000
AYSP is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and welcome applicants from all cultures, abilities and sexual & gender identities. Applicants must be willing to demonstrate and adhere to a commitment to Anti-Oppressive and Anti-Racist principles, with the expectation that the framework be reflected in day to day work. AYSP will make reasonable accommodations to enable applicants with disabilities to participate in the interview process upon request. For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all candidates for applying, however, only candidates being considered will be contacted.
Keywords: LGBTQ, youth counsellor, queer, transgender, case management, youth engagement, clinician, psychotherapist, social work, mental health