Microbiologist - 8 month Co-op (Kamloops)
Location: ALS Environmental, Kamloops BC
Reports to: Laboratory Supervisor
About the Position:
Working as part of the Kamloops team, the laboratory analyst’s primary responsible is for all aspects of laboratory analysis including production, time management, quality control and turnaround time.
• Analysis of samples for Microbiology testing (Total & Fecal Coliforms, e.Coli and Heterotrophic Plate Counts) following documented specific methods and/or procedures;
• Prepare reagents, calibration and quality control standards, sample dilutions and QA samples;
• Perform instrument/equipment calibration, maintenance as required;
• Carry out all required work scheduling and planning activities;
• Carry out all required data entry in the laboratory database (LIMS) and documentation (i.e. calculations, data logs, archival, etc).
• Deliver accurate results to our clients in a timely manner;
• Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and adhere to strict QA/QC requirements;
• Observe established safety regulations and comply with all ALS health and safety policies and procedures.
Other responsibilities to support laboratory operations may included
• Assist with client bottle order requests;
• Assist with sample layout and login into the LIMS, including non-microbiology requests, and prepare shipments for the processing laboratory(s);
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Good organizational skills with the ability to meet strict deadlines such as Turnaround Times (TAT) and holding time requirements;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• A strong work ethic and willingness to take on varied tasks as required;
• A commitment to excellence and a client-focused attitude.
• Intermediate English communication skills (auditory, verbal, written, and reading) as required;
• Ability to use Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) at an intermediate level;
• Accurate and efficient data entry skills;
• Capability to perform repetitive tasks correctly in a fast-paced environment;
• Completion of B.Sc. or Technical Diploma in Microbiology (preferred) or a related discipline (required);
• 1 years’ experience in an analytical laboratory or related field experience (preferred);
• Previous experience with Microbiological analyses (preferred).
Page 2 of 2 alsglobal.com
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs./14 kg on a regular basis and carry for short distances;
• Manual dexterity to perform intricate and/or repetitive tasks;
• Wear issued personal protective equipment (PPE) such as dust masks, gloves etc., when required;
• Ability to stand for a full shift;
• Ability to sit at a desk and do general office work, which includes periodic sedentary responsibilities;