International Youth Fellowship
International Youth Fellowship Program
Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) is an international development organization and registered charity. AKFC partners with communities, businesses, and governments to find innovative solutions to global challenges. Working in Africa and Asia, the Foundation invests in high quality institutions and systems that anchor social, economic, and cultural progress over the long term. AKFC promotes inclusive development that enables women and men to unlock their own potential, sparking transformative change. In Canada, AKFC promotes discussion and learning on global issues, raises funds, taps into Canadian expertise to strengthen its development work, and builds partnerships with Canadian institutions.
Established in 1980, AKFC an agency of the worldwide Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a family of development agencies with individual mandates that address the social, economic, and cultural dimensions of development.
AKFC is now accepting applications for its 2019-2020 International Youth Fellowship Program.
INTERNATIONAL YOUTH FELLOWSHIP PROGRAM
A World of Opportunity
The International Youth Fellowship Program, established in 1989 by AKFC in collaboration with Global Affairs Canada (GAC), is designed to develop leadership and management skills and promote learning for outstanding young Canadians who have a desire and an aptitude to work effectively in a global environment. For the 2019-2020 program, we are delighted to have the financial support of the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) and the Bank of Montreal (BMO).
The International Youth Fellowship Program builds on twenty-eight years of success during which more than 500 university graduates and young professionals have received focused study and practical experience that has enabled them to pursue leadership positions in their chosen fields. The program, designed as a stepping stone for careers in international development, has attracted outstanding young Canadians professionals from a wide variety of disciplines—including law, engineering, journalism, education, health, business, finance, public administration, and development studies—wishing to embark on global careers.
Each Fellow will attend a three-week management seminar in Ottawa, followed by an eight-month placement (mid-July 2019 to mid-March 2020) with a local civil society organization in Africa or Asia. Placements may be with an agency of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN) or with one of the AKDN’s trusted partner organizations. Potential host countries may include Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Egypt, India, Kenya, Kyrgyzstan, Madagascar, Mozambique, Tajikistan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Approximately 10 Fellowships will be awarded for the 2019-2020 program.
Participants can apply for one of two streams:
- International Development Management (IDM) Fellows benefit from placements in a variety of organizations, working on one or more of the interconnected issues of the interconnected issues of civil society, economic inclusion, environment & climate change, education, food security & nutrition, gender equality, or health. Placements include positions in research, gender or environmental analysis, project management, communications, and monitoring and evaluation.
- International Microfinance and Microenterprise (IMM) Fellows gain experience with an organization focused on inclusive economic development – including microfinance institutions and microenterprise or market development programs – to develop skills in the strategic planning, operations, and evaluation of these institutions and initiatives.
PRE-DEPARTURE MANAGEMENT SEMINAR
The Management Seminar provides training in development management and leadership, emphasizing innovative and analytical approaches and strategic thinking and planning, related to the overseas placements. The practitioner-oriented seminar is intended to prepare Fellows for their placements and also equip them with skills and perspectives that will benefit them in a career in international development. Workshops are taught by some of Canada’s foremost international cooperation practitioners. The Management Seminar is held in Ottawa and runs for three weeks (June 01 – 22, 2019).
All Fellows must meet the following application criteria:
- Hold, at minimum, a postsecondary degree from a recognized institution by April 30, 2019, with a record of strong academic performance.
- Not be enrolled in any educational program for the duration of the International Youth Fellowship Program (June 2019 – March 2020).
- Demonstrated commitment to international development through related volunteer, professional, or academic experience.
- Be 30 years of age or under on or before February 1, 2019.
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Be fluent in English.
Please keep in mind the following dates:
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019
Interviews: mid-February – end of March 2019 (Skype or in-person)
Offers Sent: April 2019
Management Seminar: June 01 – June 22, 2019
Overseas Departure: Mid July, 2019
End of Placement: Mid March, 2020
To apply to the International Youth Fellowship Program, please visit: https://youthfellows.akfc.ca
Deadline for receipt of applications is February 1, 2019 at 11:59 PM PST.
To learn more about us, please visit our website at: www.akfc.ca