Meet The TalentEgg Awards Judges: Top Students From Schulich, Confederation College And SFU

by

Are you thinking of applying to be a student judge for TalentEgg’s National Campus Recruitment Excellence Awards in 2017? Meet the students who joined our panel of judges last year and learn about their experience!

So many amazing students were selected to be a part of TalentEgg’s National Campus Recruitment Excellence Awards and Conference in 2016 that we decided to produce not just one, but two features to recognize the incredible work they did. These students brought commitment, dedication, and creativity to the table when evaluating and providing feedback on employer’s campus recruitment initiatives.

We had the chance to connect with them last year and learn a little bit more about their experience on the panel. For an idea of what applicants can expect this year, take a look!

Madeline Dennhardt

madeline-2
Madeline Dennhardt
Diploma, Business Marketing
Confederation College, 2016
Give us your elevator pitch! Tell us about yourself and what makes you a top student?
My core skill sets are marketing and social media strategies. I’m endlessly curious and all my friends, family, and colleagues look to me for answers on everything from mood swings to finding the best place is to grab lunch. I’ve always been exceptionally passionate about volunteering and getting involved with my community. I am creative, motivated, a quick learner with a great ability to problem solve, and have exceptional group and teamwork skills. I put high value on taking the time away from school work to destress – balance is key when it comes to crunch time. This is how I ensure my mind and body stay healthy, along with maintaining high grades.
Why did you want to be a TalentEgg National Campus Recruitment Excellence Awards student judge?
Over the summer, I worked for Confederation College and was involved heavily in their social media platforms and got to see the process behind the college’s recruitment campaign. I saw the TalentEgg National Campus Recruitment Excellence Awards as a great opportunity to reinforce what I learnt over the summer and share my knowledge from a student perspective.
What have you learned from being a TalentEgg student judge?
Through my experience as a TalentEgg judge, I have expanded my knowledge on the options available for new grads. As I am a soon-to-be grad, this knowledge will help me in my journey to develop my career.
What is your career superpower? (i.e. something that you do better than anyone else)
Brainstorming and coming up with creative ideas is one of my strongest assets. As a marketing student, I use these skills to develop unique and effective marketing strategies and social media campaigns.
How do you like your eggs?
I like my eggs scrambled. Yum!

Ali Najaf

AliNajaf2
Ali Najaf
Bachelor of Business Administration, Human Resources Management
Simon Fraser University, 2017
Everyone has their personal traits that differentiate them from others. I believe what makes me different is my motivation as a young leader to make an impact in the world. My previous leadership roles, volunteer work, and engagement in the community has enabled me to create this impact. Through this development, my current roles include me being elected Senator at SFU and a mentor who is experienced, dedicated and hardworking. Throughout my life, I have volunteered more than 2100 hours with 25+ organizations in Canada and Pakistan such as UNICEF SFU, Enactus SFU, TedxSFU, SFU Bookstore, and the Canadian Cancer Society to name a few.
I believe that it’s an excellent opportunity for me to bring my student perspective to Canada’s top employers and to appreciate their recruitment initiatives. Being a judge is also a platform to provide them feedback that will help them recruit the brightest candidates and ways to engage students at campuses.
Being a TalentEgg student judge, I got the opportunity to learn and recognize the efforts of the campus recruiters. The experience also provided me with better knowledge of what employers are looking for in students and their strategies to find the brightest students.
How do you like your eggs? (i.e. something that you do better than anyone else)
Hard boiled.
Is there anything else you would like to share?
For me, career success is being in a position where I am not growing myself, but helping others grow and achieve – where a direct positive impact is being made on others’ lives.

Carol Khoury

Carol IMG
Carol Khoury
Bachelor of Business Administration
Schulich School of Business – York University, 2018
“Life isn’t about finding yourself; it’s about creating yourself.” Living by my motto, I’ve been able to balance a full-course load at university, uphold my position on the Dean’s Honour List, and immerse myself in extracurricular activities. Between acting as the student voice in the school’s newspaper, and mentoring prospective and current students, I have an inner desire to continuously explore and share new perspectives. My passion for holistic learning drives me to challenge myself, put curiosity at the heart of every task, and discover new possibilities.
What part of the judging process did you find most interesting?
I found it interesting that although students are on the other side of the recruiting fence, companies who were able to implement great value propositions while connecting with students made it feel like there was no fence; that the gate separating students and recruiters was open . Also, it was interesting to see the ways recruiters went beyond core campus recruitment strategies. As a student, it’s one thing going to conferences and events held by the employers, and another to actually shape these strategies through feedback.
Though this experience, I understood what Einstein meant when he said, “information is not knowledge.” The judges were surrounded with abundant information and that information became knowledge when we were able to turn it into big-picture connections. As well, Canadian employers that succeed do so because they have a deep understanding of students’ needs, develop and execute quality recruitment strategies, and test their plan to learn new information.
How do you like your eggs?
Scrambled eggs and trying different add-ons, such as with spinach and goat cheese!
Being a TalentEgg student judge was an exciting opportunity. A key take away I learned was that building habits in the little things (i.e. being proactive to input) led to excellence in the big things (i.e. successful recruitment strategies), which goes to show that habits and attitude carry on with you and have a ripple effect.

Apply to be a student judge for TalentEgg’s 2017 National Campus Recruitment Excellence Awards here.

Share