Canada's most popular job board and online career resource for students and recent graduates.

Employers
Recruit Top Talent!

Average Starting Salaries For New Grad Engineers In Canada: 2011 Edition

You landed an interview for an engineering job with a company like BHP Billiton or Nexen and your prospective employer asks about your salary expectations.

Stumped for an answer?

Knowing the starting salary in your industry can not only show you’re knowledgeable about the field – it’s also something you should be aware of when you start your job search.

We’ve put together the average starting salaries for engineers working in four different major cities in Canada.

Get this year’s info!

This info should help you get a rough idea of the amount of money you’ll soon be earning as a new grad engineer – and it’s only going to get better with more experience.

Software Engineer Mechanical Engineer

Edmonton: $61,820 Edmonton: $52,336

Industrial Engineer Petroleum Engineer
Toronto: $45,601 Toronto: $58,684
Montreal: $43,145 Montreal: $56,438
Vancouver: $45,197 Vancouver: $58,756
Edmonton: $48,211 Edmonton: $59,118

According to the Engineering and Technology Labour Market Study, which analyzed engineering job outlooks in Canada until 2018, there will be a heavy demand for mechanical, civil, electrical, industrial, petroleum and aerospace engineers, especially beginning in 2014. Because of this, employers will have to offer higher salaries and assist with re-location costs in areas where the demand is heaviest.

There will be a moderate demand (defined as difficulty recruiting engineers with five years of Canadian experience) for chemical and computer engineers from now until 2018. The report also predicts that baby boomers retiring in these occupations will increase the already high demand.

Click here to check out engineering internships, co-ops, summer jobs and entry-level jobs across Canada.

Career Spotlight Engineering banner Average Starting Salaries For New Grad Engineers In Canada: 2011 Edition

Written by

Vicky Tobianah recently graduated from McGill University with an Honours Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and English Literature. She also works as a freelance journalist. When she is not busy blogging, making new contacts or researching articles, she enjoys catching up on current affairs, encouraging her friends to become active in political matters and, of course, writing.

17 comments

1. maria
    October 4, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I have no idea how the salaries for Software Engineer have been put together. I graduated with a BSc in Computer Sci from York U, and for every single person I have known in my class or those from Computer Engineering – the average is close to 50K+ for people with no internship experience, with most people getting 55-60K or so a year to begin with in Toronto. I have not heard of a single person making 43K or so a year. Thats measly!

2. Mark
    October 22, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Numbers seem a little bit low. Anyone taking a job at a big and profitable firm like Nexen or BHP Billiton, for as little as $55-$60k, is really getting ripped off given the cost of living.

maria, unemployment rates of CompE grads across Canada are fairly high, especially with the big Nortel purge and now the downsizings at RIM. It wouldn’t surprise me if the average is $43k or less, but they are certainly including some burger flippers in those numbers.

3. AB WW
    November 5, 2011 at 3:11 am

These number are B.S (not to be mistaken with a bachelor of science), OK?
    I kid you not. Add 10ks to the number above, at least.

4. kbk
    January 8, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Lol this is way too low compared to how much my computer engineering peers got offered. 2 pp I know getting around 130K+ USD, one’s getting 110K for jobs in the states. For Canada, I know people have gotten offers for 70K-75K.

5. Marni
    January 21, 2012 at 11:41 am

Where are the numbers for Civil/Structural Engineers? And as a Structural Engineer working in the industrial sector, the starting industrial engineer salary is off by at least $10,000.

6. Calgarian
    March 2, 2012 at 11:39 am

Hello ,

This is absolutely wrong ! For an Electrical Engineer in Training it should be from 60 – 65 $ or else 65 -75 k $

7. Ray
    April 21, 2012 at 1:43 am

Completely untrue. Most internships pay more than these numbers. The absolute lowest salary for computer engineering I’ve heard of was 55k at a startup. Larger companies often pay much more. Please check your sources, Vicky!

8. Evan
    May 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Numbers way too low.

Just graduated, starting $69k for Jr. Civil Engineer (Calgary).

Average should be around here.

Cheers

9. Gwen
    May 31, 2012 at 10:46 am

Software Engineer numbers do seem low, although I started at $47k right after graduation. 3 years into the industry and my salary is now up to $58k. Am I still on the low end of the range?

10. pinky
    May 31, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I am doing btech first year how much would be the starting pay at vancouver?????

11. Gav
    June 11, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Numbers are definitely low.
    Just got out of Uni with a Bachelors in Mech Eng and got a job with an offer of 57k. I gladly took it considering I had no formal engineering experience.

12. EIT
    June 17, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Chemical Engineer in Edmonton should be 20K-30K more. I assume other disciplines in Edmonton would be significantly higher.

13. G0OS3
    July 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm

These salary figures are very low for engineers. The author needs to do more research or provide valid ref sources.

14. Salman
    July 22, 2012 at 12:37 pm

These numbers are totally misleading. I graduated a year ago from the University of Waterloo after completing my Mechanical Engineering degree requirements. Started at 65K in the GTA and am now making 68K. This does not include bonus and is NOT outstanding.

15. amrit
    August 4, 2012 at 10:22 am

i would like to know the pay scale for civil engineer in canada for the foreigners and have no experience…

16. Kaelan
    March 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

How much would a civil engineer with a masters in architectural engineering make in Victoria, BC. (starting salary)

17. Niraj
    May 29, 2013 at 9:20 pm

I am thinking of starting my master in canada, how much chances are there to get job and what will be starting salary of me as international student ?

Trackbacks