Canada's most popular job board and online career resource for students and recent graduates.

Employers
Recruit Top Talent!

Network in your community at the grassroots level to start your career

My summer job hunt has been a real wake-up call for me on the importance of networking. After a week of looking through advertisements in newspapers, on job sites, notice boards and even on lamp posts, I was still summer job-less. I was beginning to think the current economic crisis had finally made its mark on me.

Then I remembered Karen Williamson, the director of the Immigrant Settlement Services at Brantford’s YMCA. I met Karen through a charity event where I was a volunteer. I had heard of her extensive experience in providing employment assistance so I decided to seek her advice.

We started by polishing my resumé to a high shine and then we explored the places where I could ‘distribute’ my resumé. At this point, Karen gave me some invaluable insight into the hidden job market: more than 90% of available jobs are tucked away in the hidden job market and only the remaining estimated 10% are advertised to the public.

Employers are often disinclined to advertise for cost reasons. Small businesses with immediate vacancies might be unable to bear the cost of advertisements. Job advertisements can also produce a hoard of resumés which they do not have the time or resources to deal with. Furthermore, employers are more partial towards references from people they are familiar with. That’s where networking comes in.

According to Karen, the key to networking is to spread the word about yourself and one of the best places to start is your community. Talk to the people you see regularly at your church, mosque or temple, charity organizations where you volunteer, members of your extended family, and even your neighbours. Talk to the people you see every day and let them know you are looking for a job.

The chances of these people having a vacancy to offer is small. However, there is a greater chance they might know of someone who is hiring. The more people you talk to, the more the word gets passed around and the greater the chances someone with a vacancy will hear of it.

The plus side of this ‘grassroots’ style of networking is that employers are bound to hear about you through people who know you personally. They’ll be able to give reliable character references and therefore increase your credibility for the position. Compare that to the lone resumé-and-cover-letter package you send to an employer with whom you have no connection whatsoever.

Written by

Lin Rahiman is a second-year journalism student at Wilfrid Laurier University. She has had work and study experience in Malaysia, Australia and Canada.

2 comments

  1. June 3, 2009 at 11:15 am

    As we’ve said a million times – networking is job-hunting gold – as long as it’s genuine. I like the examples you used – of networking in places where you’re already spending your time. That’s where you’re most likely to make meaningful connections with people who already know and respect you. Well done – another great article!

  2. June 11, 2009 at 11:07 pm

    Thanks Lauren, I appreciate the feedback. And thanks to Cassandra too for following up on my articles!

Trackbacks

  • Can’t find a summer job? Make scholarship hunting your job instead | TalentEgg Career Incubator
  • Can’t find a summer job? Make scholarship hunting your job instead « internSHARE Blog
  • What you told @TalentEgg on Twitter this week « internSHARE Blog
  • Find or start a networking group in your area to stay involved in your community | TalentEgg Career Incubator
  • Find or start a networking group to stay involved in your community « internSHARE Blog
  • How I landed a job in 2 weeks using my job hunting checklist | TalentEgg Career Incubator
  • Remember that old babysitter? Revisit old contacts for new opportunities | TalentEgg Career Incubator
  • Leave a comment


      Loading

      Enter your email address to receive notifications of the latest career articles and videos by email.