Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
As one of our Tax Specialists, Anika is responsible for performing all relevant duties pertaining to commodity, income and Non-Resident Withholding taxes and insurance. She is the point-of-contact person when it comes to insurance-related matters, renewal processes, accounting and analysis.
Every tax season, Anika loves to help as many less-fortunate families in her hometown as possible receive the valuable tax information they couldn't afford through other avenues. This is her way of giving back to those that have not only watched her grow up as a local basketball legend, but have also always rooted her on to victory along the way!
This is Anika's story. She is one of us.
But know this. If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we'll do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Anika, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Tax Specialists, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Prepare monthly commodity tax remittances and general-ledger reconciliation for all jurisdictions.
- Develop, maintain and monitor processes to ensure commodity taxes are properly charged by the POS system on all types of merchandise, and accurately self-assessed on purchases.
- Ensure all commodity tax implications to changes in the merchandise structure are implemented immediately.
- Determine if commodity taxes are properly assessed and paid on IT invoices.
- Act as an internal resource to other departments for commodity tax queries.
- Assist the TJX Tax Department in managing the corporate and capital income taxes (both federal and provincial), including the preparation, collection of required information, execution of tax payments and all applicable journal entries.
- Facilitate the filing of income tax returns prepared by the TJX Tax Department.
- Be the point person for income and commodity tax auditors, while ensuring proper documentation is maintained.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the TJX Tax Department and commodity tax consultants.
- Be responsible for the Sarbanes-Oxley legislative requirements, as it applies to commodity taxation.
- Prepare and process Non-Resident Withholding Tax payments and annual returns.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have earned a University degree in Accounting.
- You possess detailed knowledge of commodity and income tax legislation.
- You have experience as both a government-commodity and income tax auditor.
- You have an advanced knowledge of applying Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- You problem-solving skills include analysis of information and researching.
- Your communication skills include facilitation, verbal (dealing with income and commodity tax auditors) and written (reports, memos, follow-ups, etc.) abilities.
- You have great organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Your computer skills include word-processing applications, advanced spreadsheets (MS Excel), the ERP Financial and Procurement package (with preference to Lawson and ad hoc report writers like Monarch, Report Smith, Crystal) and e-mail.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.