Systems Finance Supervisor
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Candace is one of our Systems Finance Supervisors. She's responsible for managing the IT Finance function which includes preparing and managing budgets. We also rely on her to analyze, forecast, and reconcile monthly and quarterly financial reports, prepare cost analysis, and provide strategic recommendation on projects.
Candace has really strong analytical skills. If you ask her to evaluate how she passed her CPA exam, she'll openly tell you that it required a high-degree of determination and chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.
This is Candace. She is one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Candace, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Systems Finance Supervisors, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Lead the preparation of capital budgeting, operating expenses, and project budgets for the Systems department; communicate the budget preparation parameters; lead and conduct detailed reviews with Senior Management during budget submissions.
- Communicate project budgets, actuals, and forecasts to TJX Corporate in order to drive project reporting and resource planning within North America.
- Research budget variances, forecast expenses and capital spend, and report trends to Department Managers and Senior Management on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Collaborate with Systems and TJX Corporate in developing meaningful forecasts and provide support for project accounting.
- Collaborate with the business to prepare cost benefit analysis: ROI, RFP, RFQ, etc.
- Provide strategic recommendations as part of the project intake process regarding new and existing project proposals.
- Manage the Systems inter-company chargebacks and liaison with TJX Corporate to reconcile monthly charges and understand variances.
- Responsible for leading, coaching, and developing the IT Finance team.
- Participate on a committee that evaluates IT projects and recommend how to proceed.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have at least one year of financial analysis experience with post-secondary education in finance or economics.
- You are working toward or have completed an accounting designation (CPA); retail or chain store background is an asset.
- You have a detailed understanding of accounting principles and financial statements.
- You have very strong analytical and mathematical abilities.
- You have advanced computer skills including Excel and other MS applications.
- You have excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- You have excellent issue management skills: time management, information gathering, and problem solving.
- You are able to monitor, forecast, analyze, and reconcile the capital, operating expense, inter-company, and travel budgets ($60 million total) for the Systems divisions; Systems has the third largest capital budget at TJX Canada.
- You understand the application of financial policies and procedures.
- You can provide advice to Systems Management on dollar appropriations and cuts, if necessary.
- You are able to give advice during contract negotiations, such as payment schedules or other existing issues with vendors.
- You can perform analysis of proposals and quotations relative to potential equipment or service providers.
- You can manage one direct report.
- You can support various business partners plus Corporate IT, Finance, and Corporate Accounting.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.