Merchandise Operations Supervisor
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Austin is one of our Merchandise Operations Supervisors. He provides leadership and supervision to a team of Merchandise Associates. He's accountable for the effective and consistent execution of day-to-day Merchant/Buyer operational tasks.
Every team is a direct reflection of their leader and the values they embody. Instead of needing to be right all the time, Austin focuses on doing the right thing. We like to think the A in his name also stands for authentic.
This is Austin. He is one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Austin, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Merchandise Operations Supervisors, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Be responsible for daily coordination of workflow, ensuring team operates at the optimum level of effectiveness; balance workload to ensure optimum productivity of each MA.
- Monitor and track progress of initiatives to ensure work is completed on time within the quality standards established by the department.
- Ensure all purchase orders are placed on the books weekly and reported on and tracked for inbound flow to our Distribution Centres, as written for or modified.
- Partner with all levels in Merchant organization and be primary contact with DMM's, to ensure daily operational execution of MA tasks and ensuring coverage for absences.
- Partner with Merchandise Operations management team and Merchant partners to implement new processes to improve service delivery.
- Identify new trends and anticipate shifts in business needs; work with peers and manager to proactively adapt operations in support of merchant activities.
- Oversee and monitor analysis of operational activities.
- Identify learning needs and work with peers, manager, and Merchant Development to develop new training opportunities for Associates.
- Identify Associate potential and recommend for promotion opportunities to other Supervisors and Managers.
- Coach and train MA's on daily management of purchase order creation, vendor relations, and internal communication with key stakeholders, including follow through of deliveries of inbound flow to receipt in the DC.
- Develop MA's capability, business acumen, and off-price knowledge to effectively deliver on objectives.
- Ensure all Associates are held accountable for business objectives and outcomes.
- Ensure timely communication among teams and with partners.
- Ensure Merchants take accountability for business decisions and vendor relationships.
- Participate in new hire selection.
- Work with fellow Supervisors and MA's to ensure strong partnerships, delivering an appropriate level of support, leveraging resources, and flexing to meet business needs.
- Work collaboratively with Imports, Logistics, Accounts Payable and Planning Departments to develop and ensure execution of procedures that maximize efficiencies.
- Partner with internal Samples team and Marketing team management as required to ensure seamless transactions and transitions of samples to support business needs.
- Represent Merchandise Operations business needs for various initiatives, including those requiring systems enhancements or the creation of new tools or processes.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have a post-secondary education and/or equivalent experience required.
- You have knowledge of Merchandise or Buying Operations functions, including following-up on delivery and maintaining excellent relationships with vendors and partners.
- You have the ability to partner and support departments/functions in the achievement of Merchant and Merchandise Operations goals.
- You have highly developed communication skills (written and verbal) and the ability to listen deeply before articulating the best course of action.
- You can partner and plan effectively with several DMM's in their business portfolios.
- You are proficient in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and SharePoint.
- You have knowledge of mainframe applications.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.