Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk in the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
David is a Merchandise Controller. He acts as the liaison between our Distribution Centres and Merchandise Planning to ensure the quality, value, and seasonality of all the merchandise processed at the Centres. That means inspecting merchandise for vendor compliance and quality, verifying label requirements and fabric contents, and resolving any issues that come up. He had a couple of years' merchandising experience before coming to us, and it shows - his communication skills are nothing less than transcendent.
Although it should be said that his penchant for turning a conversation about a purchase order into a Broadway musical can be a little much.
Even so, this is David. He is one of us.
But know this. If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX CANADA, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like David, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Merchandise Controllers, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Inspect merchandise, identify damaged merchandise, and when required, return it to vendors in a timely manner
- Research vendor style numbers, and verify label requirements and fabric contents
- Maintain clear communication between Planning and all processing departments in the DC
- Liaise with the Planning department to facilitate processing
- Resolve issues pertaining to merchandise (i.e. merchandise received, not on purchase order, etc.)
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You've had enough experience to develop a general knowledge of all aspects of merchandising, including fashion, seasonality, and fabrication
- You have a strong understanding of Distribution Centre operations
- Your issue management skills are world-class, you correct problems as soon as they occur, and your attention to detail has been recognized by the Guinness Book of World Records
- Your computers skills are excellent, and they include knowing how to use a company mainframe application
- You have great verbal and written communication skills. 'Nuff said.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.