Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Alivia is a Cash Accountant. She's responsible for monthly activities related to reconciling corporate bank accounts. This includes being in constant communication with banks, credit card provider(s) and stores. She posts journal entries, issues daily cash position reports, and balances daily credit sales to ensure that transactions are flowing accurately.
Most people enjoy reading books or magazines. Alivia prefers spreadsheets. She is fascinated by equations and analysis and anything to do with numbers really. She says accounting is like a puzzle. We're just happy she can see the big picture and help us find any missing pieces!
This is Alivia. She is definitely one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Alivia, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Cash Accountants, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Reconcile company bank accounts to ensure they are accurate and that all information has been reflected in the General Ledger.
- Prepare monthly balance sheet reconciliations for assigned accounts including investigating and following up on any discrepancies.
- Perform daily customer processing including the investigation and resolution of discrepancies; plus, processing transactions, completing, investigating, and responding to customer service and store cases in a timely manner.
- Resolve issues by communicating with banks, third parties, and internal departments, such as Accounts Payable and Sales Audit.
- Prepare all necessary journal entries related to bank reconciliations and month-end entries, including accruals, and ensure all journal entries are posted on time to maintain the accuracy of the General Ledger.
- Take responsibility for day-to-day cash management including the depositing of cash and cheques, completion of wire transfers, and reporting bank account balances to interested parties.
- Prepare weekly audit to ensure successful settlement of cash, debit, and credit; any issues are actioned immediately and brought to the attention of management.
- Assist management with periodic ad hoc analysis and reporting.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have completed post-secondary education, specializing in accounting.
- You have at least 2-3 years of related accounting experience and/or an accounting designation.
- You have advanced knowledge of general accounting procedures, including the ability to identify assets, liabilities, income statement accounts, debits, and credits.
- You understand MS Excel, in particular the analysis features.
- You know database design/manipulation concepts and demonstrate proven analytical skills.
- You thrive in a detail-oriented, multi-project environment while meeting tight and fixed deadlines.
- You have the ability to work independently, estimate time required to complete projects, follow up on assignments, and keep appropriate team members updated and aware of progress.
- You have customer service skills including efficiently responding to inquires and resolving any conflicts that might arise.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.