Assistant Store Manager, Backroom
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Chad is one of our Assistant Store Managers, Backroom. He oversees efficient operations and helps with operational tasks, service areas, merchandising standards, and presentation. He models our values every day in his interactions with Associates and customers.
Chad joined us shortly after working in a similar role, where he helped support different service areas in a retail environment. He thinks fast on his feet and we're not just saying that because he was an all-star on his high school track team. Well, maybe a little.
This is Chad. He is one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Chad, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Assistant Store Managers, Backroom, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Participate in all employee-related management functions, including: interviewing, hiring, training, coaching, motivating, disciplining, performance appraisals, resolving conflicts, and the administration of human resources policies and initiatives.
- Provide Associates with coaching, training, and development on policies and procedures.
- Direct work assignments in key areas.
- Ensure Store Associate headcount supports the needs of the business.
- Conduct prescreens, interviews, and reference checks; plus, adhere to the compensation guidelines regarding job offers.
- Create a positive work environment that fosters open and continuous communication and information sharing.
- Work with the Store Manager and respective Coordinators to meet and align business and customer needs based on merchandising trends and opportunities.
- Be prepared for store visits from Regional Teams, District Managers, Home Office, or any other visitor; know your store's goals and challenges for sales, productivity, events, and operations. Use this time to discuss all of the activities, issues, new programs, or plans of action you have implemented.
- Communicate sales goals and other financial/business information daily to Coordinators and Associates; provide direction on how to utilize the information to drive sales for their given areas of responsibility.
- Complete a comparison analysis of other retailers and provide feedback to store team during Management meetings to become aware of potential cannibalization and/or market competition. Develop an action plan to sustain or improve sales.
- Participate in Management meetings and lead Coordinator meetings.
- Provide weekly updates on objectives and identify any issues or opportunities pertaining to the Backroom. Utilize the Door to Floor and Item by Item (IBI) reference guides and other applicable reference guides to model efficiencies in all business areas. Discuss weekly goals, priorities, projects, and action plans to resolve any issues.
- Adhere to all TJX Canada policies and procedures.
- Create and validate CRT's assigned are completed to standard.
- Exemplify 'Total Store Awareness' and accountability for the business in the absence of the Assistant Manager of Operations, Assistant Manager of Customer Service, Assistant Manager of Merchandise and/or the Store Manager.
- Contribute to the store achieving shrink target.
- Reduce internal/external losses by ensuring loss prevention policies/practices are followed.
- Monitor store's performance and execution against TJX Canada standards.
- Execute all policies to reduce risk and expense, such as following store opening and closing procedures.
- Be responsible for the execution of the Health & Safety Program, including reporting.
- Support operational areas, such as cash office, service areas, and markdowns in the absence of the Assistant Manager of Customer Service and/or Operations.
- In the absence of the Store Manager, complete the Master Store Tour and discuss with management to determine execution plan.
- Support and execute the Joy Project to drive the importance of building strong connections between Managers, Associates, and Customers.
- Address customer service issues and provide appropriate coaching to Associates.
- Exercise discretion regarding customer service policies in order to maintain customer satisfaction.
- Interact with customers and gain feedback in Service Areas then share it with the Store Manager.
- Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You must have related work experience and a high school education (college diploma or university degree preferred).
- You demonstrate an ability to execute plans, prioritize, lead large groups, and develop people.
- You have the ability to solve problems, make decisions, and prioritize in a fast-paced and ever-changing store environment.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.