Financial Analyst - Home Office
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk through the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
Graham is one of our Financial Analysts. He's responsible for assisting with department specific accounting and general financial business partnership functions, including budgeting, forecasting, and assigned accounting functions. He's great with numbers but even better with people.
Of course, he has a spreadsheet for his spreadsheets. It's both an art and a science to witness how he turns data into conclusions. He lives for those a-ha! moments. So do we, Graham. So do we.
This is Graham. He is one of us.
If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Graham, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Financial Analysts, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Establish cross-team partnerships with the assigned departments that focus on improving their decision-making processes through identification of issues and analysis and developing processes and procedures to improve accuracy of the forecasts/rolling plans.
- Forecast the assigned departments' operating expenses by obtaining input from the business owners to understand the future business needs and reviewing past performance as well as reporting actuals in accordance with GAAP and company policies.
- Review the departments' monthly financial results and provides business reasons for any variances to the rolling plan.
- Assist in the development of annual and long-range plans.
- Participate in the month-end and year-end closing processes such as recording of accruals, balance sheet reconciliations, and preparation of year-end schedules.
- Prepare daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/annual reports for internal and external customers as well as ad hoc analysis for senior management and the assigned departments, as needed.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You have at least years of experience in financial reporting, budgeting or similar business experience; you have post-secondary education in Finance/Economics and working toward an accounting designation (CGA/CMA).
- Your knowledge of general accounting procedures (GAAP) includes the ability to identify assets, liabilities, income statement accounts, debits and credits.
- You possess strong analytical and accounting skills.
- You are proactive and possess excellent communication and problem solving skills.
- Your computer skills include strong spreadsheet (MS Excel) skills, knowledge of accounting software, and experience with budgeting tools (Eg. TM1).
- You have proven issue management and time management skills.
- You have strong interpersonal skills including conflict management, information gathering, and decision-making.
- Your customer service skills include effectively and efficiently responding to associate inquiries, building relationships with external departments and other Associates.
- You are highly organized and have the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.