Business Planning Analyst - Finance
Here at TJX Canada, we strive our hardest to make sure that, every day, our customers are able to find the latest and greatest designer brand names for less than they'd pay elsewhere. When they walk in the doors of our stores, whether it's a Winners, HomeSense, or Marshalls, savvy shoppers know they'll experience the "Thrill of the Find," which, if you're curious, feels like a slight breeze blowing over the surface of your skin-not a bad feeling, if we do say so ourselves.
But you're not here to feel the breeze. You're here to see if working with TJX Canada is right for you. To help with your decision, we'd like to introduce you to someone who once faced the same choice you have to make.
As one of our Business & Planning Analysts for Finance, Cheryl is responsible for supporting the Finance teams by providing analysis to Senior Management regarding existing store initiatives, future store growth, corporate Real Estate strategy, and individual market optimization. Her tasks include current as well as long-range planning and forecasting. She came to us with a Bachelor's degree in Statistics and several years experience in financial analysis.
Of course, she also had a few months' experience as a lifeguard, but unless someone falls into the water fountain, she won't get much use from those skills.
Still, this is Cheryl. She is one of us.
But know this. If you do decide to apply for this position, and we agree that this is the right job for you, you'll be supported by a plethora of internal programs whose only focus is the continued progress of your career. At TJX Canada, we do everything we can to help you achieve your full potential. But we can't do it all ourselves. You'll need to bring the ambition, the motivation, and the drive.
So what do you think? Like Cheryl, are you one of us?
Now, if you were to come on board as one of our Business & Planning Analysts for Finance, we'd ask you to do the following:
- Maintain an existing portfolio of initiative-evaluation reports delivered to senior executives on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Participate in the preparation of all financial planning processes (annual, long-range, and rolling financial plans) through communication and support with the departments.
- Analyze monthly financial statements and variances to plan/rolling plan (income statements and balance sheet).
- Maintain and track performance of New Real Estate activity and report these findings to senior management to assist in becoming profit-maximizing portfolio managers.
- Perform data querying to create and produce reports to support business needs
- Interface with Merchandise Planning, Store Operations, and Marketing to streamline and make efficient use of corporate information.
- Partner with various project leads to provide market intelligence analysis.
- Partner with Managers and AVPs when gathering business needs and communicating results.
- Project-manage ad-hoc reports and contribute to market optimization initiatives.
- Partner with the business to provide support materials to enhance internal decision-making.
- Scenario-plan and evaluate competitor's market strategies.
Sounds rather challenging and exciting, right? Let's hope so, because if it sounds easy or boring, there's a good chance this job isn't for you. But if it does sound right for you, here's why we know you'll be able to handle those challenges:
- You've done enough mental heavy lifting to earn your Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Accounting, Finance, or other quantitative discipline; knowledge in statistical theory would be an asset.
- You have at least two years of experience in financial analysis or planning, which you can use to build a stable and bright future here at TJX Canada.
- You have advanced knowledge of MS Excel (in particular the analysis features); it would be an asset if you also have knowledge of VBA, Oracle, TM1, and Hyperion.
- You possess knowledge of database design and manipulation concepts.
- You have proven analytical skills.
- You have the ability to work in a detail-oriented, multi-project environment while meeting tight and fixed deadlines.
- You can work independently, estimate the time required to complete projects, follow up on assignments, and keep appropriate team members up to date and aware of your progress.
- Your customer-service skills include efficiently and effectively responding to inquiries or resolving any conflicts or problems that might arise.
- You have the enthusiasm to continue learning and enhancing your skills.
- You are an investigative seeker and innovative thinker with a passion for quantitative analysis.
We know some of that might sound a little daunting, but if we're going to meet and exceed our promises to our customers, we have to be committed to hiring the best person for the job.