Welder, Maintenance Mobile Equipment
We're looking for skilled welders to join the Fort Hills mining project! Reporting to the shift supervisor, you are responsible for supporting the mine maintenance team by safely maintaining our heavy equipment fleet to ensure optimum reliability and availability of our assets.
- Execute all planned and break in welding repairs, build-up for line-boring and fabrication as required
- Responsible for minor welding and/or structural repairs on Hitachi EX8000 shovels and P&H 4100, Komatsu haul trucks, Caterpillar auxiliary equipment as well as various other light vehicle and support equipment
- Provide preventative maintenance support in the field and in the shop and actively participate in post-event failure analysis and root cause discussions
- Assist with essential rigging and operate rigging for moving equipment with mobile equipment and lifting devices
- Prepare base metals using bevellers, grinders, air nibblers, and cleaning chemicals and examine welds and ensure that they meet standards and/or specifications
- Support the removal and replacement of major components (engines, transmissions, wheel motors, etc.) and safely operate company provided equipment and vehicles
- Read work orders, technical manuals, blueprints and diagrams related to the work assignment; review and write work scope and hazard/risk assessment and evaluate maintenance procedures, recommend changes or modifications for improved efficiency and flexibility to setup and production
Experience and Education:
- Two or more years of post-apprenticeship experience maintaining mining heavy equipment such as P&H 4100BOSS A/C electric cable shovels and Komatsu A/C Ultra Class electric haul trucks
- Valid Alberta Journeyman Welder Certificate or an Interprovincial Red Seal; attach your Journeyman / Red Seal ticket with your application in order to be considered
- B-pressure welding ticket required
- CWB certification would be considered an asset
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and Vernier calipers
- Knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures, as well as SMAW, OAC, MIG, FCAW and PAC and heat treatment processes
- Collaboration, organizational and communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving, troubleshooting and analytical skills and ability to multitask in a rapidly changing environment
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site
- The shift schedule is a seven days on/seven days off rotation (seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, seven nights off; 12-hour shifts)
- You will be required to perform some heavy lifting, use of ladders and working on elevated work sites such as scaffolds and towers with the ability to perform in different environments both indoor and outdoor as well as within confined spaces
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you'll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a camp based work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You'll either fly to and from work or bus-in/bus-out from Fort McMurray. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada.
Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You'll also enjoy:
- Movie theatre
- A multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A games room
- A golf simulator
- Convenience store
- Chef prepared meals
- Market-style cafeteria and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.