Supervisor, Mine Dispatch
Do you want to be an integral part of the operation of a brand new mine? Reporting to the production manager, Fort Hills, you will be responsible for operating mining dispatch software to ensure accurate and productive daily operations. You will also serve as the central communicator for mine production and safety, including emergency events.
- Capture, validate, and record mine site data through the Dispatch Modular Mining System while identifying continuous improvement opportunities
- Ensure oil sands production meets the blend quality on an hour-by-hour basis and is optimized toward having a continuous flow
- Ensure overburden/waste placement is in line with the plans for material utilization
- Monitor effective mining methods which includes a safe efficient shift change without adversely affecting ore feed to the primary extraction plant
- Work closely with control room operator counterparts to ensure optimal froth production and to ensure alignment on priorities as well as staying informed on the current and future status of the operation
- Coordinate people, machinery, and equipment, to achieve optimal production in accordance with mine plan priorities
- Foster a positive and productive working relationship between team members and with other functions, including front line leaders, mine engineering teams, and mine management
- Ensure that information required to make production decisions is readily available and accurate
Experience and Education:
- Two or more years of dispatch experience in an open pit mining environment
- Post-secondary education in mining engineering would be an asset
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of mining-specific dispatcher software systems
- Exceptionally strong verbal communication skills to effectively relay messages to heavy equipment operators and supervisors via radio
- Knowledge of flight planning and/or air traffic control is an asset
- Strong safety mindset; you continually seek greater knowledge about the systems, processes and hazards in the workplace, in order to understand not just what you do but why you do it
- Ability to multitask and make quick, effective decisions while remaining calm in a dynamic environment
- You constantly ask what could change and check for out-of-the-ordinary conditions and learn to anticipate potential problems
- This role requires you to be able to pay attention for long periods of time and retain/recall information in a high-stress environment
- This position has been identified as being safety sensitive
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site
- The shift schedule is a seven days on/seven days off rotation (seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, seven days off; 12-hour shifts)
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you'll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a camp based work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You'll either fly to and from work or bus-in/bus-out from Fort McMurray. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada.
Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You'll also enjoy:
- Movie theatre
- A multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A games room
- A golf simulator
- Convenience store
- Chef prepared meals
- Market-style cafeteria and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.