Student - Geology Co-op
Position: student/co-op role
Start date: September 2012
Length of term: preferably 12 months
- please attach a copy of your transcript to your application
- you must be currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution (with plans to return at the end of your term) in order to be considered eligible for this role
Reporting to the Manager of Geology, the student will work in the Geo Services & Mine Planning group. The student will be a member of a team comprised of Professional Geologists and Geologists in Training.
- Assisting in the QA/QC and management of the geological information collected
- Construction of well files, laboratory data collection, analysis and verification, oil sand core description and core photography quality review
- Depending on the skill level of the candidate, opportunities exist to conduct miscellaneous geology projects during the term
- Office based position with occasional exposure to the field
Suncor is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Skills and Knowledge:
- Ability to manage large data sets accurately
- Enthusiastic, detail oriented individuals with good written and verbal communication skills that have the ability to work in a team environment
Education and Experience:
- The successful candidate MUST be currently registered in a Geology degree program (Bachelor or Masters) at an accredited Canadian University, with plans to continue their degree following their work term.
- Shared accommodation is provided at no cost (phone, internet & cable included) as well as travel assistance to & from Fort McMurray.
- Coach busses run from town to site & back every day free of charge.
- Additionally several PTO (Paid Time Off) days are applicable throughout terms.
Put yourself in our picture. At Suncor, we're invested in your success. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn, grow and challenge yourself. Student internships offer varied project opportunities that will enhance your studies and can sometimes lead to permanent, full-time employment status. Wondering if you and Suncor are the right fit? Go ahead. Find out why your peers chose Suncor.
ABOUT FORT MCMURRAY
Fort McMurray is a northern Canadian city rich in resources and cultural diversity nestled in the Boreal Forest in Wood Buffalo. Explore what Fort McMurray has to offer - from its stunning natural environment and multicultural community, to its quiet neighbourhoods.
Find out more about living and working in Fort McMurray.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.