Plant Operator, Primary Extraction
Do you want to join the Fort Hills mining project which has been recognized as one of the best undeveloped oil sands mining assets in the region? Reporting to the shift supervisor, primary extraction operations, you will be responsible for safely monitoring and operating the process equipment within the primary extraction plant area to optimize production in a safe and environmentally responsible manner to meet production plans.
- Perform associated plant operations duties to ensure a smooth and efficient operation in the assigned work area
- Prepare and complete daily area logs and communicate significant changes and findings to the shift supervisor
- Provide direction and supervision to the maintenance and contract personnel performing maintenance and other operational duties during the assigned shift
- Prepare equipment for maintenance including hazardous energy isolation of equipment and commission new equipment and systems
- Ensure that shift change is well communicated and maintain housekeeping for the assigned area
- Adhere to environmental requirements
- Ensure the safety of personnel working within the assigned area and ensure personal protective equipment (PPE) and other policies are followed during operations
Experience and Education:
- Two or more years of plant operations experience in ore prep and/or extraction within heavy oil and/or sour gas processing
- Experience with industrial plant operations in heavy oil processing, sour gas processing, conveyors, pumps, and/or compressors is preferred
- Experience with some of the following equipment is considered an asset: material sizing plants (sizers or crushers), conveyors, surge bin or dry surge pile, rotary wet screens (breakers or tumblers), pumps and pipeline, primary recovery circuit (separation cells), secondary and tertiary recovery circuits (flotation columns or agitators), thickeners or clarifiers, and qualified to operate loaders and skid steers (certified on any size)
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Proficient with computer applications
- Strong troubleshooting skills would be an asset
- Proven safety and environmental mindset
- You continually seek greater knowledge about the systems, processes and hazards in the workplace, in order to understand not just what you do but why you do it
- Start date: April/May 2017
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a camp-based position at the Fort Hills site
- The shift schedule is a seven days on/seven days off rotation
- You will be required to perform some heavy lifting, use of ladders and working on elevated work sites such as scaffolds and towers with the ability to perform in a variety of different environments both indoor and outdoor as well as within confined spaces
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you'll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a camp based work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You'll either fly to and from work or bus-in/bus-out from Fort McMurray. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada.
Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You'll also enjoy:
- Movie theatre
- A multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A games room
- A golf simulator
- Convenience store
- Chef prepared meals
- Market-style cafeteria and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.