Reporting to the shift supervisor, tailings, you will be responsible for the safe operating and monitoring of the tailings assets. Keeping in line with our strong commitment to safety, you will ensure that safety policies and procedures are being followed by all personnel, including the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and the hazardous energy isolation (HEI) maintenance of equipment during operations.
- Adhere to safety and environmental requirements
- Drive the fine tailings corridor, inspecting rotating equipment, pipelines, booster pump houses, and floating water pump assets and ensure that any issues are brought to the attention of the shift supervisor
- Operate tailings heavy equipment (cell dozer, loader, dozer, excavator, grader, etc.)
- Complete the operator log tool and checks, and communicate significant changes
- Prepare equipment for maintenance and commission new equipment and systems
- Provide direction to maintenance and contract personnel performing maintenance and other operational duties during the assigned shift
- Maintain housekeeping in your assigned area at a high level
- Ensure that shift change is well communicated
Experience and Education
- Two or more years of experience operating equipment in industries such as mining, civil earthworks, pipelines, sawmills, pulp and paper mills or manufacturing (in your resume please provide the type and size of equipment you have operated and length of time operating each)
- Two or more years of experience as a tailings operator is preferred
- Experience operating mechanical equipment such as pumps, light plants and hydraulic power units would be an asset
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge
- Basic computer literacy
- Strong proven safety and environmental mindset
- Ability to work in a team environment and make timely decisions associated with process upsets
- Strong troubleshooting skills would be an asset
- Ability to adhere to procedures - you do not take or tolerate shortcuts and if the procedure is incorrect, you fix it
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Fort Hills, a joint venture between Suncor, Total, and Teck Resources, is the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region. Located 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, you'll travel in comfort from one of our Western Canadian hubs, or Fort McMurray. There, you will stay in a world class, modern yet comfortable, lodge-style accommodation. More information about life at Fort Hills is available here.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor promotes diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Suncor is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. At Suncor, we are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communitities in which we live, and where every team member has the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.