Heavy Equipment Operator
The Fort Hills team looking to build a strong team of heavy equipment operators (HEOs) to join our Fort Hills mining project. You will be responsible for operating different types of equipment during the construction phase and beyond.
- Participate in our Journey to Zero safety program by operating safely in all circumstances
- Operate various makes and models of haul trucks, shovels, dozers, and/or graders in adherence to our standards and procedures
- Complete walk-arounds, safety checks, and field level hazard assessments and ensure the heavy equipment is running properly
- Communicate updates to your supervisor to ensure goals will be met
- Report all incidents, damages or repairs, and near misses immediately
Experience and Education:
- At least one year of experience operating equipment in industries such as mining, civil earthworks, pipelines, sawmills, pulp and paper mills or manufacturing (in your resume, please provide the type and size of the equipment you have operated and length of time of your employment with each company)
- Experience in an open pit mining environment is preferred
- Heavy equipment operator ticket is an asset
- High school diploma or General Education Diploma (GED)
- Possess a valid driver's licence and a clean driving record
Skills and Knowledge:
- Proven safety training and exceptional safety record; you set a good example for others
- Ability to concentrate and maintain focus for long periods of time
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness to train and provide mentorship to others
- You constantly ask what could go wrong and check for out-of-the-ordinary conditions and learn to anticipate potential problems
- This position has been identified as safety sensitive
- This is a Fort Hills camp-based position
- The shift schedule is a seven on/seven off rotation (seven days on, seven days off, seven nights on, seven nights off; 12-hour shifts)
- There are some physically demanding aspects of the job such as operating and climbing on and off the equipment
Go ahead. Expect growth. We want you to have a job you're genuinely excited about - as well as opportunities to learn and challenge yourself or mentor others. Plus, Suncor Energy offers a flexible employee package that can be adjusted to suit the changing needs of your life, including:
- Competitive base salary and compensation programs
- Attractive annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
About Fort Hills
Travel just 90 kilometres north of Fort McMurray, Alberta and you'll find Fort Hills, the largest undeveloped oil sands mining asset in the region with more than 50 years of life expectancy. Fort Hills is being developed in a joint venture between Suncor, Total and Teck Resources, and Suncor is the site operator.
Fort Hills is a camp based work site with brand new lodge-style accommodations for contractors and employees. You'll either fly to and from work with Sunjet, Suncor's private airline, from one of our hubs in Western Canada or bus-in/bus-out from Fort McMurray. Flexible travel assistance may also be available to get you to and from our hubs if you live in Western Canada.
Our lodges are modern, with comfortable living quarters and free, fresh meals. You'll also enjoy:
- Movie theatre
- A multi-sports/gymnasium complex available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A games room
- A golf simulator
- Convenience store
- Chef prepared meals
- Market-style cafeteria and more.
Suncor Energy is Canada's energy company - meaning rewarding opportunities for you to apply your knowledge, contribute and grow in a variety of career-building positions. Our business portfolio spans the entire energy sector, from a leadership position in oil sands development, to refining and marketing operations, natural gas, and conventional oil production, internationally and offshore East Coast Canada.
And while we are working to responsibly develop petroleum resources and contribute to the communities where we live and work, we are also developing our renewable energy portfolio, which includes wind power and biofuels.
As part of Suncor's team, you'll contribute to the ongoing success of Canada's largest energy company - one with a solid track record of growth, a focus on safety and sustainability and tremendous potential for the future. And you'll have the opportunity to learn from experts in the industry and build on your skills every day.
Suncor is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. Not sure if this particular listing is the right opportunity for you? Please join our Talent Community at www.suncor.com and click on Careers, or follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter for the latest job listings and employment news.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so if you are interested and qualified, apply now.