Web Application Developer I
You believe life is about aiming high and making an impact. At Sun Life Financial, we work together, share common values and help each other grow and achieve goals.
With roots tracing back to 1865 in Canada, Sun Life Financial has grown to become an established and trusted name in insurance and financial services, with offices and operations in key markets around the world. We recognize that our growth, success and reputation for excellence are due in large measure to our talented and dedicated employees.
As part of Enterprise Services, we in the Digital, CRM and Contact Centre Application Services (DCCAS) team work with all areas of Sun Life Financial Canada, supporting our business unit partners by providing technology solutions they need to achieve business excellence.
The Digital Solutions team in Enterprise Services delivers applications and solutions targeted at enhancing our customer interactions by using the latest Web and Mobile technologies. The Application Developer - Java role is an entry level role and will be augmenting a team of highly skilled professionals who focus on delivering solutions via digital channels. In this role you will have an opportunity to develop and deploy solutions, and take on some design opportunities, while working with local and global partners. The solutions will be focused on helping our business reach our customers via multiple channels and technologies.
Accountabilities including, but not limited to:
- Participate in business and technology meetings to fully understand their needs, consult and work within the team to deliver appropriate quality solutions and services in a timely and efficient manner
- Participate in reviews to ensure that solutions meet both business requirements and technical requirements, including performance, maintainability and stability
- Develop, code, unit test, debug, and implement requests for programs, small projects, and system changes
- Collaborate with architects, designers, business system analysts, application analysts and testing specialists to deliver high quality solutions
- Produce detailed-level designs based on business requirements and defined architectures
- Coordinate with both onshore and offshore teams to ensure coding, testing, debugging and implementation activities are completed as required
- Review and analyze organizational needs and goals to determine future impacts to applications and systems
- Produce and maintain documentation and records in compliance with the SDLC and CMMI requirements
- Ensure information security standards and requirements are incorporated into all solutions
- Contribute to defining timelines and project plans; analyze and estimate feasibility, cost, time and scope
- Stay current with trends in emerging technologies and how they could apply to Sun Life
- Application development using JAVA technologies - JAVA, JDBC, J2EE frameworks, Weblogic or equivalent application server, Eclipse IDE, and UNIX environments
- Social media tools/integration (eg. Facebook, blogs and Twitter)
Core Competencies required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - ability to express ideas, thoughts and information so that it can be understood by various audiences and meets the customers' needs
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a strong, collaborative multi-site team
- Ability to liaise with internal and external stakeholders and adapt approach when dealing with technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent organizing, planning and time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Self-directed and proactive; thinks beyond the immediate problem with an ability to analyze situations systematically
- Possess an inherent passion for continuous improvement and innovation
- Customer and results focused
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to align to changing priorities
- Aptitude and willingness to learn
Learning & Development Opportunities:
- Enhance analytical and problem solving skills
- Enhance and / or develop Java development skills
- Obtain a clear understanding of how business requirements lead to systems requirements and technical designs in a large organization
- Sharpen organizational and leadership skills by being held accountable for tasks
- Increase knowledge of business transactions, key systems, insurance and wealth products, services and methodologies used in the global health and life insurance industry
- Periodic weekend / after-hours work may be required to support project implementations and system upgrades
- Occasional travel between SLF locations may be required depending on work assignment
To learn more about Digital Innovation and career opportunities at Sun Life, visit www.sunlife.ca/digitaljobs
Enterprise Services, Working better together.
Our teams are dedicated to providing the services and technology our business partners need to help customers achieve lifetime financial security. Through innovation and collaboration, we're striving to continually find new and better ways to bring value to Sun Life. Enterprise Services has employees in Canada, Ireland, the U.S. and Asia. We partner closely with groups and individuals throughout Sun Life Financial to provide products and services that deliver business value.
Persons with disabilities who need accommodation in the application process, or those needing job postings in an alternative format, may e-mail a request to email@example.com
We thank all applicants for showing an interest in this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.