Accounting Officer Taxation (8 month contract)
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become financially better off.
A Best Workplace
Scotiabank is a premier financial institution and Canada's most international bank recognized as a Best Workplace®, in Canada, Mexico, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Panama, Peru, Chile and Latin America by the Great Place to Work® Institute.
A multinational winning team
Scotiabank is Canada's international bank and a leading financial services provider in North America, Latin America, the Caribbean and Central America, and parts of Asia. We are dedicated to helping our 21 million customers become better off through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management, corporate and investment banking.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Scotiabank helps to build bright futures worldwide through ethical banking practices, environmental awareness and a commitment to communities.
The Accounting Officer Taxation is primarily responsible for processing both simple and complex Investment Adjustment transactions and legal / regulatory transactions resulting from Bank error, Requirements to Pay, Bankruptcy, Excess Contributions or Marital Breakdowns on Registered Investments. Additonal clerical and reconciliation processes are completed in relationship to T3 Trust Reporting, TFSA Rejects and Withholding tax Remittance. This entails ensuring the timely reporting and handling of all requests relative to Taxation processing and complying with documented procedures and regulatory requirements.
The officer actively participates in the daily operation of the department in order to achieve and maintain high performance and productivity and meet all assigned deadlines.
- Review incoming documentation to ensure information is correct and actioned within bank policy and government regulations.
- Process/Verify all Taxation cases assigned to ensure tax slips and correct reporting are within established regulations dictated by the various government authorities.
- Respond to telephone inquiries and provide quidance support to branches ensuring the banks customer service standards are adhered to.
- Perform various reconciliations relating to the collection and remittance of Withholding Tax on Registered Investments
- Participate in cross-training and execution of other functions within Investment Support department as required to ensure customer service is maintained.
- Excellent Communication Skills required both verbal and written
- Demonstrated ability to analyze/problem solve and make decisions
- In depth knowledge of Registered and Non Registered Investments and the applicable government regulations and tax reporting.
- Proficient PC skills eg. Word, Excel, Lotus Notes
- Knowledge of systems used in Investment Support eg. AS400, Investment Platform, Primebase, RPM, Amendable Web would be an asset
-Hours of Work - Monday - Friday 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
-Flexibility to work overtime hours may be required during peak volume periods (January - April)
-This is an 8 month contract position.
Scotiabank is committed to providing an inclusive and accessible candidate experience. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. If you require accommodation during the recruitment and selection process, please let us know. We will work with you to meet your needs.