Benefits Assistant (Casual)
The Benefits Assistant supports the Compensation and Benefits team in administering all benefits programs at Northern Health and its affiliates. The position is responsible for determining eligibility and entitlement and processing benefit and pension applications. The Benefits Assistant provides employee services by supplying information and ensuring access to benefits in a timely manner and in accordance with the applicable collective agreements, organizational policy or the Terms and Conditions of Employment for Excluded Employees. The incumbent communicates with employees, managers, Staffing, HR, and Payroll staff, and union representatives in the course of processing and clarifying employee information and documenting or responding to inquiries related to leaves and benefit entitlements. The Benefits Assistant liaises with benefits carriers, other employers and government agencies, such as the Pension Corporation, regulatory bodies and professional associations to obtain information, clarify discrepancies, resolve problems, and deal with employee concerns.
- Diploma in Human Resources Management plus one (1) to three (3) years of recent related experience in benefits administration.
- Or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to utilize a customer service approach to staff and clients.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Ability to take initiative in problem solving and finding solutions to issues.
- Knowledge of characteristics and requirements of public sector pension and benefit plans.
- Knowledge of collective agreements, applicable legislation and regulations.
- Knowledge of payroll and human resource information systems.
- Skilled in the use of computer applications including MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to set and maintain priorities, work under pressure and be results oriented.
- Ability to work successfully within a team environment.
- Ability to work effectively under the pressure of deadlines.
PRINCE GEORGE COMMUNITY
Prince George is one of the larger cities in British Columbia with a population of approximately 75,000. Built on the confluence of the Fraser and Nechako rivers, Prince George is close to the geographic center of British Columbia and has become a transportation hub as well as an important link in the Asia-Pacific Gateway and Corridor. It is a major centre for shopping and a service centre for surrounding communities, as well as home to the University of Northern British Columbia. In Prince George, BC's Northern capital, you are just minutes from being fully immersed in the wonders of our natural surroundings - this is a true outdoor person's paradise. A warm, friendly and diverse population attests to our community spirit. You can be assured of discovering a myriad of entertainment and recreational options year-round, from heritage and cultural opportunities to good old family fun.