Petroleum Land Management Summer Student
A global energy leader with an exciting future
Nexen is an upstream oil and gas company responsibly developing energy resources in some of the world’s most significant basins, including the UK North Sea, offshore West Africa, the Gulf of Mexico and Western Canada. A wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen has three principal businesses: conventional oil and gas, oil sands, and shale gas.
As a wholly-owned subsidiary of CNOOC Limited, Nexen is better positioned than ever to realize our central purpose – creating value by responsibly supplying the energy that fuels people’s lives. While ownership has changed, our purpose, values and principle-based approach to doing business, remain unaltered. Our high standards of integrity and governance have earned us a global reputation for valuing the big picture: people, safety and the environment. Your contributions are rewarded with a highly competitive compensation package and a healthy work-life balance, and training that will open doors to your future.
Location & Business Unit Overview
At Nexen, we have new graduate and student employee development programs that accelerate your career and allow you to step in, step up and stand out. These paid work terms, lasting four, eight, twelve, or sixteen months, enable students to develop technical skills to complement their academic learning. Students, recruited from both universities and colleges, not only meet Nexen’s short-term needs, but provide a potential source of future full-time employees. To be eligible for the student programs, candidates must be enrolled in a co-op/intern program sponsored by an accredited post-secondary institution.
Nexen's summer student program is aimed at students studying Petroleum Land Management. During this four-month work term, students are assigned specific projects which give them practical business experience and the opportunity to develop technical skills in their designated field of study.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
Working as part of the Asset Management team, you will report to the Team Lead, Negotiators. You will be exposed to a variety of learning opportunities with the Land and Joint Venture business unit. You will be using CGI (Landman), IHS Accumap, MS Excel, MS Word, and other programs to assist you with the following:
• Lease data entry;
• File consistency projects;
• Generation of various land reports;
• Mapping projects;
• Other special projects as assigned.
Education & Experience
Education: 3rd or 4th year Bachelor of Commerce - Petroleum Land Management Program
Availability: Must be available from May - August 2017
Start Date: May 2017
• Must be eligible to work in Canada
• Motivated self-starter;
• Team player;
• Good analytical and problem solving skills;
• Good communication and presentation skills;
• Some exposure to the oil and gas industry would be an asset;
• Strong safety mindset
• Motivation to achieve and exceed superior results
• Strong obligation to accountability
• Demonstrated effective decision-making skills
• Innovative with “can do” attitude
• Values feedback as a learning tool
• Ability to collaborate without boundaries and align with a team to achieve highest quality results
• Strong computer applications knowledge (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
• Indicate graduation date
• Include your GPA
• Upload resume and cover letter as one document